Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Project: Warrior  (Read 8590 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Project: Warrior
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 05:21:51 AM »
Husker still want to know what polish you used...I just purchased an pre-79 red head and need some help.
Your 4th pic shows are leg holder with the porcelain missing. The one I just purchased has rust through around the edge of the leg holder. Help from anybody, would JB weld from the inside of the Kettle to seal work?  Legs still hold, but want to prevent further damage. It will never be a show Kettle, but it will be alive!

Greg

For polishing the bowl and lid I pre rinsed it off with water (hose and water gun) and used 0000 steel wool afterwards. Then finished it off with Turtle Wax brand Polishing Compound. Legs and Ash Pan were restored with Mother's Mag brand polish. Makes those old legs look almost as good as new. I say almost because if there are scratches or pitting on the legs, it's not coming off but shines up and removes decades of dullness and weathering. Twist ash pan was a B**** to clean, but turned out. I really wanted to use the original wheels with new whitewalls. I'll have to do some tweaking and use some 5-minute epoxy mix and I'm sure I could do it. But for now......  1978 must have been the last year that the kettles were issued with straight edge twist ash pans. Because i'm positive that the 1979 "A" kettles updated to the rolled edge style twist. As for your redhead aquisition, congrats! Do you have pics of it? I'm not sure on your leg socket. I havn't used JB Weld yet. So I am unsure if that method would work.

Craig
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:24:24 AM by husker_red »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
Thanks Husker! I have a project for tomorrow.
Any Ideas on how to re-attach the Daisey Wheels?
Normal rivots or are there special ones can be purchased.

Greg

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 08:46:11 PM »
+1 for Turtle Wax Polishing Compound, and Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish.  I must have gleaned that wisdom from Husker at another site.  Works really, really well. 
One of the charcoal people.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 07:32:49 AM »
Thanks Husker! I have a project for tomorrow.
Any Ideas on how to re-attach the Daisey Wheels?
Normal rivots or are there special ones can be purchased.

Greg

Can't wait to see pics of it when it's all done!  I havn't had to replace daisy wheels yet, but I know that WEBERCLOSEOUTS guy on eBay sells them. They attach with what looks like a locking nut. They work on the 22.5 WSM and the old Daisy wheel kettles.

Craig
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:36:00 AM by husker_red »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
Greg I purchased replacement daisy wheels through Weber, same as those on a 22 WSM. Drilled out the old ones and attached with the new hardware they sent (nut and bolt). Works perfectly.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 11:26:29 AM »
Jeff and Craig - here's some quick pics, sorry it took so long to get them uploaded.

Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
Nice pics! Great lookin' Warrior!

Craig

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »
Hey Terry I love Walter Payton too!  Oh and nice grill.  How's the handle?   You need a little something something?

Brian
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 02:06:56 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »
Hey Terry I love Walter Payton too!  Oh and nice grill.  How's the handle?   You need a little something something?

Brian

One of the few Bears jerseys worth owing Brian. Yeah I'll probably need a new handle for that one too eventually.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
There's plenty of good ones to own.....Sayers, Ditka, Hampton, Fencik, Plank, Perry, Butler, Waddle, Gould, Peppers, Urlacher, Hester, Briggs,  tons of others..Keep the faith my man it's not so bad....It's all we got with these Hockey moron's screwing up the NHL   

Brian

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »
Plenty of older ones, good list...but never Cutler, what a bitch he is. Didnt like him in Denver and don't like him now.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »
I look at it like this, he's more legitimate than most of the guys we have had in the last 10-15 years.  He's not a superstar but most QB's aren't.  I think he gets a bad wrap because everyone want's him to be Jim McMahon.  He is who he is.  He's plenty good enough to win with.  Bears fans tent to be very negative about everything. 

Brian

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 06:28:17 PM »
He just needs to look like he gives a shit sometimes, plus he can't win any big games. Bears fans are starved for a good QB and seem content with Cutler no matter what he does. I'm as big a Bears fan as you'll find but I'm tired of hearing how great we can be. Let go out and prove it. D dominates always, O teases a lot.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
I don't know why Brian says I'm "Eccentric"?
Apparently he hasn't met too many Calfornians.
Were an "Eclectic" bunch for sure!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..