Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out  (Read 12198 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Re: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 04:23:24 AM »
I did beer can chicken on my kettle.  The top of the chicken hit the lid of the kettle, until I really pushed the chicken onto the poultry holder.  I asked Weber if there was an aftermarket item that I could use to deal with this problem.  Customer service mentioned the rotisserie add-on for the kettle, using the part that the rotisserie rests on to add additional height.  I'm not spending that kind of money on a convenience.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I also asked Weber if I could place the chicken on the charcoal grate between the charcoal baskets.  Customer service didn't answer that part of the question.

Confused... Did you use a beer can? Or a vertical roaster. Post is for beer can chicken but you said "pushed chicken onto poultry holder".  Does this debate apply to vertical roaster too? I used a vertical roaster and the chicken was touching the top. I used apple cider. I don't think I could taste it over all the other stuff I put on and under the skin. The bird came out moist and friggin awesome tho.

I use the term "beer can chicken" generically.  I used the poultry roaster from Weber.  I used Sam Adams Octoberfest beer.  I can tell you that so far I haven't noticed any difference in flavor or juiciness of the chicken when using different liquids.  Perhaps it has nothing to do with the beer, and more to do with standing the chicken upright.

I haven't done a blind test.  I've done chicken on the roti, quarters, parts, dry rub, wet rub.  All I can tell you is that we've gotten the best (so far) results with "beer can chicken."  I defer, however, to those more knowledgeable than I, on these matters as to the technical accuracy of the method.  Maybe, to the trained palate, there isn't a difference; but, my untrained palate likes beer can chicken.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 04:42:10 AM »
Debunking beer can chicken.

I read that a while ago.  Still, we like the results using the poultry roaster from Weber.  We're thinking of trying something other than beer, e.g. apple juice or wine.  I mean...he's got all the facts and figures to support his position.  But, as I said in another post, my untrained palate likes the results.  I do beer can chicken (3 to 4 pound bird) for 1 1/2 hours at in the 350-400 range, and so far we haven't run into any problems.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 04:31:36 AM »
As I said before if your getting good results and everyone is happy...cook on!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

225tostayalive

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »
spatch-cock those chickens

beer can chicken is a waste of beer and doesn't affect the taste :)

Agree 100%....the beer does nothing for this cook....the beer never gets hot enough to "steam" your bird....and steamed meat sounds awful anyway  :)

Spatchcock is by far my fave way to cook chicken on the weber kettle....and one of my fave bbq meals period....you can inject but I have never noticed that it improved "moistness" either
Weber OTG Blue, Weber OTG Black, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe Gold, Smokey Joe Silver, CharGriller Akorn, PizzaQue Pizza cooker

225tostayalive

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »
Try this....

http://www.food.com/recipe/beas-swiss-chalet-style-rotisserie-chicken-marinade-415018

Best BBQ bird I have ever made.....marinade is a little ingredient heavy But well worth and substitute ketchup for the dry tomato.....

Swiss Chalet is a chicken joint chain up north eh
Weber OTG Blue, Weber OTG Black, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe Gold, Smokey Joe Silver, CharGriller Akorn, PizzaQue Pizza cooker

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 05:04:06 AM »
Can't you cook both?  Why does it have to be one or the other?  Beer can chicken is always awesome weather or not the beer is contributing or not.  I certainly wouldn't stop making it.  I might cook chicken a different way besides the beer can chicken, but why does it seem like people are saying we need to stop one way to make it another way?  Can't there be two recipes that I both use? 

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 08:25:35 AM »
no one is going to make you stop man :)
do what makes you happy.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken "Topping" Out
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2013, 05:41:17 PM »
no one is going to make you stop man :)
do what makes you happy.

Didn't I say that two weeks ago when this thread started...