Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pre-thanksgiving test turkey  (Read 2653 times)

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Pre-thanksgiving test turkey
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »
I decided to smoke a 13lb fresh turkey over the weekend.  I brined it for 12 hrs using a store bought apple and sage brine kit.The WSM held 325° with no problems. It was smoked over Kingsford competition briquets and 3 fist sized chinks of apple wood.  All went well except it was done a little after 9:30 am. I was planning for noon. Everything was juicy and tender.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Pre-thanksgiving test turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
Looking good, how long did it take to cook the bird?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:30:54 AM »
Thanks. I put it on about 6:45 am. From what I read it should have taken almost double the time.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »
Of course, keep in mind on Thanksgiving Day it will take twice as long as you estimate.  ;)

And if you try to speed things up on a gasser, you'll run out of propane but not realize it until an hour later and the bird is stone cold and still raw inside. Then when you rush it into the kitchen as a last resort, the wall oven trips a breaker and will not re-start. Anyone for Chinese?

Unfortunately, I speak from experience.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »
Looks great

For some reason, I opened my big mouth and mentioned I wanted to smoke a turkey this year.  Next thing I know, a week later my Mom is calling to let me know that she ordered a 20 pounder and needs to be picked up the Tuesday before Thanksgiving........Um WHAT!?!?!?!?  Needless to say, I'm already stressing about it a bit.  I'm debating a test run with a smaller bird, but I might just wing it.  After all, its just family  ;D
-Keith

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:18:47 PM »
Marty that story is entertaining, although I feel bad for you. As long as the bird turned out ok (eventually I'd assume) you can look back an laugh at that one!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »
Of course, keep in mind on Thanksgiving Day it will take twice as long as you estimate.  ;)

And if you try to speed things up on a gasser, you'll run out of propane but not realize it until an hour later and the bird is stone cold and still raw inside. Then when you rush it into the kitchen as a last resort, the wall oven trips a breaker and will not re-start. Anyone for Chinese?

Unfortunately, I speak from experience.

That sucks Marty, but I'm still laughing my ass off.  Thanks for sharing the story.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »
Great story Marty. I ran out of gas yesterday morning cooking bacon and potatoes for breakfast. Luckily I had a spare tank.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
Almost got caught without gas a couple weeks ago. Thought I would get my second tank refilled as a backup until I realized the fitting was the old quick-connect and I had changed out the regulator on my gasser to the screw-on type. I just went to the grocery store and did a Blue Rhino trade for a new full tank for less than $20. I'll keep the tank as my spare from now on and just refill it. I will have a full spare waiting in the wings at all times now. (And an emergency source if you include the 5 pounder on my SS Performer)

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »
Where do you guys store your spare tank of propane? I have a spare tank also, but I leave it empty.  It makes me nervous storing a full tank.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »
In the horse barn with the mowers, gas cans, charcoal stash and such. (No horses though.)

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
Where do you guys store your spare tank of propane? I have a spare tank also, but I leave it empty.  It makes me nervous storing a full tank.
Outside. Not in the basement! Propane is heavier than air and can pool in lower portions of a building. A separate building that has good ventilation (Like Marty's barn) would probaly be a good alternative.
kettles, smokers...

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »
Outside. Next to the 100gal tank I use for my oven, hot water heater, fireplace and dryer. I'm thinking of having a hard line ran to my gasser.