Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roadside Chicken  (Read 3321 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Roadside Chicken
« on: October 30, 2013, 03:39:18 AM »
I made some roadside chicken last night with a few potatoes and some green beans.

My son loves chicken but couldn't figure out how to eat it on the bone:

So he threw it down. lol

-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Roadside Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 05:57:37 AM »
Looks good! Roadside chicken is one of those that I keep going back to. I hope your son got some help so he could learn how good it is. ;)
kettles, smokers...

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:02:15 AM »
Good looking drumsticks!:)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:09:56 AM »
Looks good! Roadside chicken is one of those that I keep going back to. I hope your son got some help so he could learn how good it is. ;)

Of course, at 11 months old, he's eating better than most adults. ;) Not bad considering he doesn't have any teeth yet. lol

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »
Looks great.   After seeing those I feel the need to make some in the near future.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 02:23:47 PM »
Okay, I'll bite: what is roadside chicken?

smokeyjoeuk-ray

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »
looks good, interesting the way you do your spuds on the coals, do they not burn or do you turn them frequently??

ray.

I need a red head in my life, and a roti ring.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 03:27:04 AM »
Not every chicken makes it to the other side.  ???

Just kidding. It's a marinade/baste recipe for grilling chicken. I use it when I do birds on the rotisserie. Google will find you all of the details.

looks good, interesting the way you do your spuds on the coals, do they not burn or do you turn them frequently??
I do them that way occasionally. If left on long enough w/out turning they will develop a nice hardened crust but it takes a lot to char them to the point where they are not good. Even then you can just eat the parts you like and leave the char behind.
kettles, smokers...

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 04:18:21 AM »
Not every chicken makes it to the other side.  ???

Just kidding. It's a marinade/baste recipe for grilling chicken. I use it when I do birds on the rotisserie. Google will find you all of the details.

I do them that way occasionally. If left on long enough w/out turning they will develop a nice hardened crust but it takes a lot to char them to the point where they are not good. Even then you can just eat the parts you like and leave the char behind.

Hanks right. The name comes from where you'll typically find this type of chicken cooked. Around here anyways, during the warmer months you can find chicken cooking over large pits all over the place. These are put on by different groups of sports teams, churches, fire departments, ect for fundraising purposes. You can usually get a half a chicken for $5. It tastes sooo good. The recipe is a vinegar based recipe and you can find all kinds of versions on the web. The one I use is found on TOS and its the closest I've found to what you can get locally which makes sense since the person the posted the recipe is local to me.

As far as the spuds, I do that if I plan on opening the lid often which this recipe requires. I'm basting every few minutes so the heat goes up and down. They cook faster when they are directly on the coals in that situation. The bottom of can get crispier than normal but I actually kind of like that. :)