Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My "cold call" easterner!  (Read 6329 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: My "cold call" easterner!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
Very nice!:)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 09:13:18 PM »
There are know words! Great story and awesome score. Kudos to the gal, passing on the deal she received.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...Been told that for years...

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 09:33:24 PM »
Fucking gorgeous.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »
Congrats man. I can only imagine the grin on your face when this all went down.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 05:33:51 AM »
Congrats man. I can only imagine the grin on your face when this all went down.

When she said $5 I almost had a damn heart attack. I imagine I looked like alittle kid on Xmas morning getting that new highly sought after bike that I bugged everyone for the last year!  The best part of it all she asked for my phone number and said she would keep me in mind for the other two charcoal grills as sometime in the future she would be moving into her boyfriends house and he does not eat food off a charcoal grill. I know for sure the smokey is a grass/lime green c&b colored one as I seen it, the 22.5 I am guessing that is the size she says is older but she isn't sure and it is brown she believed but she says she can't really remember as when she bought them all together she gave the bigger one to her parents and they both have since passed and it went into storage. So I might see 2 other grills in my stable from her. Till then I keep my fingers crossed they are in as good of condition as this one and that she decides to pass them on for a the same low price.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 06:23:57 AM »
Incredible, Mikey!  Thanks for sharing your story with us!  Simply amazing.
One of the charcoal people.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 06:29:22 AM »
Mike
Super work on the cleanup.  That's a great grill at a great price.  It looks amazing.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »
Mickey what are you doing to clean your grills it looks immaculate please I have scrubbed and clean and can't get mine to your finish
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »
Mickey what are you doing to clean your grills it looks immaculate please I have scrubbed and clean and can't get mine to your finish

Zork are you talking about the legs and ash rings and pans or the lid and bowl them self's?
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 02:49:03 PM »
Great pickup Mikey, you can never lose anything by asking!
Uncommon sense seeker

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 04:17:30 PM »

Zork are you talking about the legs and ash rings and pans or the lid and bowl them self's?

I wondering the same thing too.  I'm talking about the entire kettle from legs to bowl (inside and out) and lid (inside and out). 
I've read and know the basics.  Easy Off, Dawn, degreaser, 0000, plastic scraper, etc. and I'm not getting quite the results I'd like.  For example, some bowls have the most stubborn baked on grease.  I cleaned one recently and used 1.5 cans of Easy Off and it still didn't take care of it.  It's rock hard.  I'm getting impatient!
WTB 18 fruit

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 05:56:20 AM »
Great job!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 06:44:17 AM »

I wondering the same thing too.  I'm talking about the entire kettle from legs to bowl (inside and out) and lid (inside and out). 
I've read and know the basics.  Easy Off, Dawn, degreaser, 0000, plastic scraper, etc. and I'm not getting quite the results I'd like.  For example, some bowls have the most stubborn baked on grease.  I cleaned one recently and used 1.5 cans of Easy Off and it still didn't take care of it.  It's rock hard.  I'm getting impatient!

One way to get that scraped off black char is with a razor blade. I susually set the bowl aona 5 gallon bucket and take a small razor blade and scrape away. Doesn't seem to scratch it.
It just takes time..Lots of time.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »
Nice score almost looks brand new!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »

One way to get that scraped off black char is with a razor blade. I susually set the bowl aona 5 gallon bucket and take a small razor blade and scrape away. Doesn't seem to scratch it.
It just takes time..Lots of time.. 8)

I use a plastic scrapper to get most the heavy baked on bits. Then close all the vents and make sure they close tightly and a can or 2 of easy off oven cleaner on the inside of the lid and bowl close them up together and let them sit for a minimum of an hour and up to 4. Then depending on how badly baked on or greasy things were I use a scrapper for the worst parts and then a pretty soft light brown/tan colored scotch brite pad then 0000 steel wool. I then rinse them out real good. Then the inside and outside while wet get a good scrubbing with liquid BARKEEPERS FRIEND and 0000 steel wool working it in small circles and making sure it doesn't dry. Then rinse off while scrubbing some more. Repeat this till clean then while wet I dry with a terry colth towel till it shines. I do the inside first then outside. As far as the aluminium pieces I start with red scotch brite pads and scrub till all blemishes are gone then go to a grey pad scotch brute pad then a light brown/tan pad then finish off with 0000 steel wool. The aluminium pieces at this point are pretty shiny but if you want more shine you can use come mothers aluminium polish a start with some steel wool and work till you get to a buffing towel. Or get a buffing wheel set up and use rouge till I get to that mirror shine. As far as the steel wheels on this one I used 0000 steel wool and a bucket of hot soapy water a scrubbed very lightly till rust was gone. Did not repaint. Then spayed a light spray of silicone spray on a rag and wiped down the whole wheel assembly. I spray my plastic wheels with silicone spray also. If gives them a alittle sheen. If I have a steel rivet in the top vent and it is rusted or rust colored, I tape off the vent around it then use my dremel with a little wire wheel and clean it up. On the triangle I use a wire brush to get rid of must the easy to get off rust. Then use varying scotch brite pads to get rust off then finish with steel wool. In hard to get to spots on triangle I use the dremel with a wire wheel.

That's pretty much it I think I didn't miss anything.