Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mmmmmm Drumsticks on the Sublime Drum Smoker  (Read 2728 times)

Aawa

• WKC Brave
Mmmmmm Drumsticks on the Sublime Drum Smoker
« on: October 19, 2013, 05:35:52 PM »
Well title tells you what I'm cooking but can you guess what style?  Here is the line up of ingredients.

If you guessed jerked chicken, you were right.  Here is the recipe I got from another forum.  It was posted by a Jamaican gentleman that was gracious to share it.

Phrasty's Jamaican Jerked Marinade
1 bunch Green Onions
1-3 Scotch Bonnet peppers (Depending on how hot you want it.)  - I used habaneros since the store didn't have scotch bonnets
2 tsp Allspice berries or 1 tsp ground allspice (Pimento)
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp brown sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup cane vinegar or distilled (white) malt vinegar
1 tbsp oil

I made the marinade last night and put the chicken in it, and let it go overnight.  I doubled up the ingredients and use all 3 habaneros.

After work today, I got the drum smoker fired up.  I used cherry wood because I didn't have pimento wood.  Jerked meats are typically slow smoked over a charcoal fire with pimento wood.  I was running at 325 degrees the entire cook.

The finished product from a couple of angles.

And my plate

The marinade is fantastic but.......... it is definitely a mouth burner.  The flavors of the jerked marinade is absolutely fantastic and will be using it again.  I do need to tweak the amount of habanero/scotch bonnets I use though.  Three was almost too much, I think 1-2 of them would of been perfect.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Mmmmmm Drumsticks on the Sublime Drum Smoker
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
Looks good! Those habaneros look dangerous.

What kind of drum smoker? UDS? PBC? Something else?
kettles, smokers...

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:08:56 PM »
It is a UDS that I built.  And yeah the habaneros were definitely super spicy
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Mmmmmm Drumsticks on the Sublime Drum Smoker
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 10:07:22 PM »
That looks great! Might have to try this sometime.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 05:14:36 AM »
And yeah the habaneros were definitely super spicy
My sister sent me some last year. She has an organic farm in upstate NY. I blanched them to freeze and just the fumes off the steaming pot was dangerous.  :o I back off on the heat for some of those recipes. At some point it goes from enjoyment to a test of stamina. One can always serve hot sauce on the side for those who really like it hot. Last time I made Pepper Stout Beef I went with two jalapeņos and the heat was just right for us.
kettles, smokers...

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 02:15:39 PM »
Awesome post, Aawa!!
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

Bosibus

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 06:29:20 PM »
I have been looking for a good jerk recipe, that looks great! May have to try this Sunday.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
Yum.  Thanks for posting Aawa!

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »
I have been looking for a good jerk recipe, that looks great! May have to try this Sunday.

I forgot to mention that you take the ingredients and either puree them in a food processor or you can do it old school with mortar and pestle.   I went the easier route with the food processor. :p