Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Painted-over Yellow resto progress... and questions.  (Read 3290 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Painted-over Yellow resto progress... and questions.
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
My brother has been working on his yellow (original thread click here )

He's made some decent progress. Here are some updated pix:
Lid getting there.  Original owners painted the vents... this is apparently pretty tough to get off with lacquer thinner.  He did discover that this is a "D" code... 1982.  '82 was a good year... the Cardinals won the World Series in '82. Maybe he'll have it back to life in time for a 2013 Cardinals' World Series win!  8) .  The bowl vents are all "D", as well.  I didn't realize they were still making MBH/Yellows in 1982. Based on what we could see initially (in the dark & thru the paint), we had thought this was a 1978.

Legs off, ready to start:

Starting to look pretty good. Doesn't appear to have too many battle scars.

Top & bottom cleaned up. He just needs to really tackle those vents. Any suggestions on something other than lacquer thinner & 0000 steel wool to make the vent clean-up easier?

The grey-ish paint on the lip of the lid appears to be almost baked on. Not sure what kind of paint it is, but it is not coming off at all. Both lacquer thinner & paint thinner have been tried. Anyone have any other suggestions for removing whatever this is?

Thanks for looking... and for the help! More updates when she's all ready for a cook!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Painted-over Yellow resto progress... and questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:54:19 PM »
Ding Ding Ding! Can it be true? Do we finally have a verified D-code Kettle? I will need a good shot of that top vent to add to the collection of course. Or, just send me the whole thing and I'll take care of that for you.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:55:18 PM »
I used paint stripper on mine, also I got a rip roaring fire going and it seemed to loosen up the paint...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »
Ding Ding Ding! Can it be true? Do we finally have a verified D-code Kettle? I will need a good shot of that top vent to add to the collection of course. Or, just send me the whole thing and I'll take care of that for you.

Forgot we were looking for one!  It's strange, the "D" stamp is not in the normal spot... it's way off to the side.  We'll get a good shot of that as soon as we get the vent cleaned up.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »
Yeah - I think Craig has one like that, (also yellow!) but yours confirms it. One odd ball is just that. Two odd balls is as close to proof as we're likely to get. Thanks for the photo when you get it all shiny and happy.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:20:45 PM by MartyG »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »
I thinkn the paint stripper might work but don;t leave it on the vents too long. You can always tape of the area around the vent and use a small drill mounted buffer\sander. 
Its looking good so far!
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 07:07:44 PM »
You think your gonna strip all the way through the aluminum AJ?  Can you please get your "prescription"  your not making sense....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X