Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: CL scores of the week in NY  (Read 3783 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: CL scores of the week in NY
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 10:09:05 AM »
I've added the bezel/lid thermo to one WSM and a couple of kettles.  My little tip is to drill the main hole for the thermo first.  I use a piece of masking tape to minimize the chance of chipping, but even more for the way you can mark out the second hole/slot... just press the thermo/bezel down tight to the lid, then pull back-- you'll have the little tab marked out with a neat little impression.  Then you can drill out the second hole (or if you wanna get all fancy like Bman, the two holes that become a slot). 

Congrats on the new scores!  That old-school WSM looks especially sweet with its wood handle. 
One of the charcoal people.

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »
I've added the bezel/lid thermo to one WSM and a couple of kettles.  My little tip is to drill the main hole for the thermo first.  I use a piece of masking tape to minimize the chance of chipping, but even more for the way you can mark out the second hole/slot... just press the thermo/bezel down tight to the lid, then pull back-- you'll have the little tab marked out with a neat little impression.  Then you can drill out the second hole (or if you wanna get all fancy like Bman, the two holes that become a slot). 

Congrats on the new scores!  That old-school WSM looks especially sweet with its wood handle.

great idea! Who doesn't want to be like the Bman?!... ;D
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
Nice grill sleuthing Tattoo, but i'm not sure I would drill into that lid. It looks like it's one of the first wsm's that was made. Maybe not a "C" code, but I would check to be sure you aren't drilling a piece of Wistory. ;)

Check with our resident WSM expert Harbormaster.

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
Nice grill sleuthing Tattoo, but i'm not sure I would drill into that lid. It looks like it's one of the first wsm's that was made. Maybe not a "C" code, but I would check to be sure you aren't drilling a piece of Wistory. ;)

Check with our resident WSM expert Harbormaster.

I cannot find any vent code stamp on any of the vents.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 11:34:21 AM »
Good idea, Duke!  That's worth checking out the date on that before altering it.  Strange that you can't find a date stamp, though...

btw, in the photo you posted, the center section is upside-down.  Which is actually a good way to store the smoker, since it will shed any rainwater or condensation that way. 
One of the charcoal people.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Re: CL scores of the week in NY
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »
I think I got the idea from you actually ;). If not it was here for sure.

I cannot take credit for the idea. Not sure where I saw it, but I did not come up w/it.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank