Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 14 WSM first cook  (Read 3885 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
14 WSM first cook
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »
Well, after I cleaned up the leaves today, it was time to fire this little puppy up.
Lighting some coals with the small chimney

Half ring of TJ's briquettes with a chunk of mulberry

Maverick thermo via the silicon grommet.

Chugging along

Looks tiny next to the 26

Chicken leg quarters done

These were tasty - they were rubbed with plowboys yardbird.

Temp control was great. I did use water in the pan, and ran it around 250 or so. They were done in a about 2 hours. Had vents wide open, but shut two lower vents towards the end.

Tomorrow's menu is a Jack Daniels-honey brined turkey breast.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: 14 WSM first cook
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:18:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing... Looks great with the wood handle!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »
Looking good! You really need to post the JD honey brined turkey. Love me some JD!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
14 WSM first cook
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 07:37:43 AM »
Just cleaning up after last nights cook - a lot of coals left.

Quick and easy cleanup ready for today's brined turkey breast - what is that red thing on the table.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 07:48:35 AM »
I see you had the temp probe on the bottom grate, and the top was "full" with food.  Do you think this effected your temp readings? 

By this i mean, on the larger WSMs the bottom grate is typically hotter especially if you run the pan dry. Also, putting a therm under a big mass of meat sometimes monkeys with temps.

Obviously your cook turned out super, i just wonder what differences may have been at top grate vs. bottom on that cook.  Can't wait to see this next one!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 08:00:31 AM »
You have great looking legs!  8) (I also like the chimney collection. I have the same but the oldest one is now rusted through in some spots. However it still soldiers on when needed.)

One question I have not seen answered is about the heat shield/ash pan that some parts diagrams show inside the bowl. Is there anything under the charcoal grate in this cooker? I can see it does not have the heat shield on the outside like the newer WSMs.
kettles, smokers...

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
14 WSM first cook
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 08:48:13 AM »

I see you had the temp probe on the bottom grate, and the top was "full" with food.  Do you think this effected your temp readings? 

By this i mean, on the larger WSMs the bottom grate is typically hotter especially if you run the pan dry. Also, putting a therm under a big mass of meat sometimes monkeys with temps.

Obviously your cook turned out super, i just wonder what differences may have been at top grate vs. bottom on that cook.  Can't wait to see this next one!
I had food on both grates and water in the pan. Early on in the cook the temps were very similar. Towards the end the lid temp was higher (~30 C). I wanted to see how the temps varied from the bottom grate vs lid. I feel after a few cooks, I won't need the maverick and can base everything off of the lid thermo.  Temp control was a breeze - it is very responsive to vent changes.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
14 WSM first cook
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 08:53:16 AM »

You have great looking legs!  8) (I also like the chimney collection. I have the same but the oldest one is now rusted through in some spots. However it still soldiers on when needed.)

One question I have not seen answered is about the heat shield/ash pan that some parts diagrams show inside the bowl. Is there anything under the charcoal grate in this cooker? I can see it does not have the heat shield on the outside like the newer WSMs.
The heat shield sits beneath the charcoal grate. I was worried as there isn't much room underneath the grate. Figured ash will fill up quickly. It doesn't seem to matter as the bottom vents sit high. You would need a lot of ash to clog them up.

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 09:03:45 AM »
Great lookin cook ! It is a fun little smoker :)

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »
Man, that's a sweet lil smoker.  That chicken looked moist.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
14 WSM first cook
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »

Man, that's a sweet lil smoker.  That chicken looked moist.
It was. My 6 year old son really liked it. It's portability is one of the pluses. Especially when you want to cook a small amount food.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
14 WSM first cook
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »

Great lookin cook ! It is a fun little smoker :)
Agreed - it is a fun little smoker.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
It's on my Christmas list.  That grommet will come in handy.