Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Keeping Temp...  (Read 654 times)

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
Keeping Temp...
« on: February 27, 2019, 04:56:02 AM »
I have not typically had issues but the last time I smoked some ribs I was really having a difficult time having the kettle keep temp... and I am not relying on the analog thermometer either, I have a dual probe digital I use. I was using the slow-n-sear with weber briquettes and some chunk wood but nothing out of the ordinary. I had the troth full of water and a water pan in the bottom. Any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks
GMO
Just Grill It!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Keeping Temp...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 05:13:03 AM »
To low?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:16:06 AM »
No every time I kept trying to get it to stay 225-235 it would hold for a little bit then spike up to 375 or 350... it would not hold a low temp in any way... I have typically never had issues like this before. It got to the point where I had to close the temp vent almost completely.
Just Grill It!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 05:26:26 AM »
How are you arranging coals? have you changed anything? grill or placement of coals. I would think with all that water it wouldn't be a problem keeping low temps
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 05:30:09 AM »
Is your kettle leaking more than it should?  If you close all vents does it shut down in 20 minutes or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 05:55:44 AM »
i had a strange experience last time i did ribs...lump coal on on side of kettle..dual probe...had my rack of ribs on..one probe grate level hit 270 which i like...the other probe near top of ribs so guess 2 inches higher elevated..temp was saying 340? got the same readings switching probes...could not believe such a higher reading for only few inches.....so basically thinking if i want next time to cook at my ideal temp of 270...have to wait till bottom probe says 250 top says 300? thus 275?

G-MO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 06:05:22 AM »
Coal are arranged in the slow in sear as normal or normal for me... it was pooring smoke as it usually does, I dont know it was strange I usually dont have to babysit the grill that much during a smoke.I will test the shut down next time and make sure it does in 20 minutes or less.
Just Grill It!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »
We see this type of post alot this time of year, where guys have trouble maintaining a steady temp and/or reports of temp surges for no apparent reason.

My opinion is the charcoal has absorbed moisture from the humidity in the air, in most cases.

To solve the problem take the charcoal inside the house for a couple days and leave top of the bag open so the moisture can evaporate. After the charcoal is good and dry again you'll need to keep it away from anything that condensates or vaporizes water. Keep the bags off any concrete or dirt floors, by storing them on a pallet or wood runners so the air can move freely around them. When your not taking charcoal out of the bag the top of the bag has to stay closed or it'll drink water rapidly. I always roll the top down and set a chunk of wood on top to insure it don't unroll itself, then I cover it with a flat, empty, bag for extra protection.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 02:01:30 PM »
To get lns 225 with that set up in my sns, I have the bottom vent 1/4 or less open and the top 1/2 closed. 

What were your vent settings?   Opening the lid can stoke the coals and cause a temp spike. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk