Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What post best describes the snake method?  (Read 7188 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
What post best describes the snake method?
« on: October 10, 2013, 07:17:25 AM »
I want to link to it from my blog. I'm using it today for Pepper Stout Beef.

Thanks!

Or I'll use this.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:51:35 AM by HankB »
kettles, smokers...

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: What post best describes the snake method?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:19:21 AM »
At my two hour check I found one snake roaring along and the other just sort of creeping:

Good thing I went with two! I'm measuring temps through the lid vent about 330°F so I'm happy with results so far.
kettles, smokers...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »
Peppered stout beef is looking good!

I'm travelling up to OKC this weekend to visit family and plan on bring my 22 redhead daisy wheeler to do a brisket flat on.  Doing snake method as well!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »
Not that it best describes the snake, but jcnaz has THEE best photo of the snake!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/first-picnic-shoulder-many-thanks-for-the-help!!/msg63878/#msg63878

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 11:06:10 AM »
I took this photo of a snake set up.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 07:03:44 PM »
Thanks all for the info. I referenced this thread in the thread in which I described the recipe: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/bell-peppers-and-beef-(pr0n-heavy) and put some of the links in my blog.
kettles, smokers...

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 11:53:47 PM »
Hey Hank great blog!!!
Can someone tell me the benefit of the two snake method?
I've always curled the snake 3/4 of the way around the kettle and lit one end but I've noticed lately a few cooks which have 2 lit snakes on either side of the kettle
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 01:05:52 AM »
Is the reason for lighting both ends so that temps stay high? I have a snake going right now but I only light one end. Im expecting it to go for 18 hours at least.

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:17:01 PM by Jocool »
If it breathes, we can cook it!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 06:19:08 AM »
Hey Hank great blog!!!
I've always curled the snake 3/4 of the way around the kettle and lit one end but I've noticed lately a few cooks which have 2 lit snakes on either side of the kettle

I use a "two short double" for ribs going down the middle pretty often......and it can be used, like Jo's saying to run a bit higher temp, that's a workable idea also......

I'd put up some shots of the 15# brisket I'm doing right now, but PhotoPHUCKET is refusing to take up the pics................might be that I need to upgrade some things & step into this century?

Great stuff HANK !!!!

& great pics.....John, Bman & JC....... ;D

PS: Hank, that Google "this" has enough different ones to give a plenty good description........ ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:20:12 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »
Hey Hank great blog!!!

Without supports to make the snake thicker (expanded metal or bricks or something) it's hard to get a thick snake that burns hot and consistently. A two headed snake doesn't have to be any thicker to get you the heat, and will last long enough for most high heat cooks.

In a kettle you could do a minion like method on a big pile of charcoal for high heat, but then you may not be cooking indirect without a heat deflector. This is not an issue on the WSM since it is larger and the heat is far away.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 12:34:57 PM »
So what temps are you normally shooting for with the double snake
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
So what temps are you normally shooting for with the double snake
I wound up with about 310°F (155°C) for several hours with two snakes going and the OT vent about half open (lid vent fully open.) That's what I was aiming for because I had a deadline to finish the cook by (at least when I started.) Were I going for low 'n slow I would have done one long snake.
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 06:12:39 AM »

Hank, there's some questions, answers & pics in this one.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/something-different/

You're welcome to use it, if it helps......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 06:33:26 AM »
Hey Hank great blog!!!

Without supports to make the snake thicker (expanded metal or bricks or something) it's hard to get a thick snake that burns hot and consistently. A two headed snake doesn't have to be any thicker to get you the heat, and will last long enough for most high heat cooks.

In a kettle you could do a minion like method on a big pile of charcoal for high heat, but then you may not be cooking indirect without a heat deflector. This is not an issue on the WSM since it is larger and the heat is far away.

The snake method that is normally used is the 2-1 snake, where it is only 3 coals .  I modified that, since I smoke things at 300-350 degrees by doing a 2-2-1 snake.  I light 10-12 coals and drop them on the end.  I run with bottom and top vent wide open and it will hold 300-325 for 7-9hours.

About 30mins after putting a 12lb brisket into the kettle with the snake setup, this was the temperature.  At the highest point it went up to 330 degrees for about 5mins and then slowly dropped back to 300 degrees.

After 5 1/2 hours I was left with about 1/4 snake, which I estimate would get me about 2 more hours of cooking or more.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *