Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bell Peppers and Beef (pr0n heavy)  (Read 2065 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Bell Peppers and Beef (pr0n heavy)
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
And this one actually has beef in it, Jet's comments notwithstanding. (If you understand that, good! If not... Google. ;) or ignore.)

This is a by the book preparation of Pepper Stout Beef following the recipe found at the Wolf Pit. I can summarize here by saying that you smoke the beef until well done (165°F) and then braise over peppers, onions and garlic with a mix of stout and worcestershire sauce until the beef can be shredded. Reduce the liquid and serve! I have seen so many raves about this recipe I just had to try it.

This was a cook away from home so I had to work with what was at hand. That meant instead of selecting one of my stable of WSMs, I had to adopt techniques that would work in a kettle. Many have commented about the snake method so I used that. I modified it slightly and had two snakes burning and it worked well for me. (More on the snake technique can be seen here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/what-post-best-describes-the-snake-method/)

Starting some briquettes to get the snakes going. That's some mesquite chips sprinkled on the briquettes.

Rub the beef with S&P while the coals get going.

Fire in the hole!

Close to 400°F with two snakes lit and all vents open. I closed the bottom vent to about half.

First check at two hours (and with no fiddling of the vents.) The cooker was holding a little over 300°F at that time.

Getting the bed of peppers and onions ready for the meat.

After three hours the meat is at 174°F and ready to braise.

After three hours at about 300+ I took the foil cover off and tore the meat into chunks. It was not ready to shred yet. The next stage reduces the liquid and finishes cooking the meat.

Food stylists the world over fear my mad skillz! (No!  ;D )

This recipe is a resounding success and should be tried by all who enjoy beef. I have some ideas for possible improvements but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the recipe as it stands! (I should add that I only used three jalapeņos vs. the five that the recipe called for. It was pleasantly hot. Modify that depending on your tastes and the heat in your jalapeņos.)
kettles, smokers...

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
This looks excellent! A wonderful write up as well! I have to say, for me, the coolest part of this is that you were forced to improvise by being away from home. It just shows how flexible doing all this can really be. Thanks!

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Bell Peppers and Beef (pr0n heavy)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »
This looks excellent! A wonderful write up as well! I have to say, for me, the coolest part of this is that you were forced to improvise by being away from home. It just shows how flexible doing all this can really be. Thanks!
I gotta add: Kettles rule!
kettles, smokers...

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
Great cook hank! I added your blog to my feedly app. Love reading about your cooks.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 09:32:22 PM »
Whoa you outdid yourself, Hank! Does the smkoing temp matter for the initial smoke?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 03:22:38 AM »
Nice job Hank! I just did the pepper stout beef this weekend.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 06:33:18 AM »

That looks great !!!

Personal observation is that I think things of this nature come out better done in cast iron as opposed to aluminium pans.......got a small tinge of alum. in the flavor at various times on long cooks.....

Anyways......Real Good Cookup, Hank !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
Does the smkoing temp matter for the initial smoke?
I don't think it is any more critical than something like a brisket. I'd shoot for anything between 250°F to 350°F and the difference would be how long it takes to get to target temperature. In my case I overshot target temp by 10° and it did not seem to cause any problems.
kettles, smokers...