Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Let's talk Foodsaver and leftover storage  (Read 1662 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Let's talk Foodsaver and leftover storage
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »
Hi guys, any of you use a foodsaver? If so, can you please share how you use it? What is the most efficient bag for ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc? How long do you store cooked food in the freezer? Do you have a preference on how you heat it up?

I am thinking of getting one soon. Any recommendations past what is available at Costco? I know they run sales during the holiday season but idk if I can wait that long.

Thanks!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Let's talk Foodsaver and leftover storage
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »
I have one, love it, I do not use it for left overs, I use it for bulk meats and for sealing cheese after it is smoked.

One thing to consider, look at the umai steak bags that allow you to dry age meat.  Reviews are very positive.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »
We have one and use it for bulk meat and grains, plus leftovers. We get the roll and cut to fit.  Food will last longer as the air has been removed. 
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »
i've been using this one for 2 or 3 years now.

I love it, and i use it often.

I use rolls instead of pre-cut bags, and i get them from ebay.
this is the one i buy

for pulled pork, i almost always smoke several extra butts and vacuum seal all the leftovers.
I'll pull it (larger chunks) and season it. put it in 1 or 2 pound increments and bag it and seal it to freeze.

For ribs, i'll put whole slabs in, or cut them in half first.
I try not to double them up, but sometimes I'm lazy...

To re-heat - leave vacuum sealed bbq in bag, put in stock pot with water. heat water.
i usually keep the water temp below boiling, and i heat the meat for 30 minutes.

If i'm more organized, i'll go sous vide with a roaster pan, keep the temp at 145 and let the bags stay there all morning until everyone is ready to eat.

I shit you not, I have catered 100+ people before with 100% leftover pulled pork that had been vacuum sealed.
Everyone told me it was the best bbq they had EVER had and they could taste that it JUST came from the smoker ;)

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »
I bought a V2820 a year or two ago (NLA apparently) and I'm happy with it. I buy roll bags (Weston, can't recall where - maybe Amazon.) I use mine pretty much like Troy uses his. I also freeze some veggies in the bags.

Some things, like soups, are easier to bag once they have been frozen.

I have a deeply held belief that the bags are impermeable to oxygen which IMO is important to maintaining freshness in the freezer.
kettles, smokers...