Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Keep original vs new parts on an old 22.5 OTS  (Read 1944 times)

salad

• WKC Ranger
Keep original vs new parts on an old 22.5 OTS
« on: September 27, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
My brother has an 22.5 "E" OTS that has never seen a garage or a cover.  Going off of the age guide it's from 1983.  Granted we live in Northern California where there really aren't any harsh seasons to deal with but it's old and has seen some weather. 
That said, the handles are shot, the front leg has a dent in it and the triangle is rusty.  The ash sweep is basically not there anymore.
Both my brother and I like old things.  We both have vintage motorcycles and he has two late 60's muscle cars.  We like to keep stuff original but we also know that sometimes things need to be replaced.

Here's what I will do:
- Contact Zavod44 for some wood handles for both this kettle and my SS Performer.
- Disassemble and deep clean it.
- Get a new charcoal grate.  He has a newish grill grate.
- Get a cover

Here's what I need help deciding on:
- do I try to get the dent out of the front leg or just buy all three legs (so they match)?  If I try to fix it, how do I go about it?  My thought is to get a broom handle through it or some other dowel and coax it with a mallet.  Any thoughts here?  Anyone try this?

- do I sand down the triangle and just paint it because it will never look good.  It's very rusty but still solid. Or do I buy a new triangle?

- Are legs and triangles even available? 
- Can I replace the 7409 ash sweep with the current 7444?  I know you can't on a Gold but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a silver since there is no ash ring bar to deal with.  Am I missing something?

I looked at ereplacement parts and I think the model # for this kettle is 71001.  Can anyone confirm this is correct? 

Any advice is appreciated!  I'm planning to do this as a bday present and I need to be done in a 3 weeks. 

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:07:15 PM by salad »
WTB 18 fruit

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Keep original vs new parts on an old 22.5 OTS
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
The plan sounds good to me, but some guys with more restoration skills will chime in soon. I think you are on the right track for the leg, then polish it up with some fine steel wool. I have seen some of the triangles painted black, and with new wheels they look pretty sharp!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:47:21 PM »
can't offer much help w/the sweeper issue. if the triangle is still solid, get the rust off, use a rust converter, then paint it. is the leg dented or bent? if just dented, your dowel idea sounds good. if it's bent, i'd replace it.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »
Hey, since it's a bday project might as well go all out if funds allow. Weber has free shipping on parts for the next few days.

Regarding the leg, it's never gonna look perfect. You can probably polish them up but for the effort I think it's better to buy new. The 7444 is a direct replacement for the 7409 for a OTS. Good luck!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »
Weber sells leg/triangle kits, you can find them at hardware stores. 3 legs, new triangle, new wheels and hubs caps. Might even include the ash pan, I don't remember.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »
Cool guys.  I don't see legs on the weber site.  Weber's site is clunky but I figure I'll just call customer service.  I think I'll just go ahead and get new legs.  The triangle is solid so rust removal and paint.  Actually, paint and time might cost more than just buying a new triangle!  Hmmm…will order parts today.  Thanks for the input.
WTB 18 fruit