Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 9/14 Update - My test-drive of the Weber rotisserie  (Read 4697 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
9/14 Update - My test-drive of the Weber rotisserie
« on: September 02, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »
It all started with this thread and how I became in possession of such items. 
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/weber-otp-with-rotissarie-ring-vienna-va/

I told Peaspurple no hurry coming to grab the goods as I'd like to test the roti to see if I like it make sure it works.  It's the right thing to do!  With that said, and this being my first time using/seeing a roti on a Weber, lets get the party started!

First up - making sure it fit ok.  Yup, good to go.

Might as well fire up some KBB while I'm here. 

Got a big ol' chicken and brined it overnight, rinsed, and let it 'air dry' in the fridge for a few hours before hitting the bondage stage.

Spread some whipped butter on the ol' girl, set her in place, and tossed in 2 chunks of pecan wood I got from Mr. Stavlund

Everything working well together, it's time for a nap.

About an hour in, checking the temps.  Awesome...

Bird is lookin' (and smelling) great.  Added some corn & foil pack of taters

Here she is in all her glory!  After a 20 minute rest, we tore into this one pretty hard. 

I've made quite a few whole chickens before, but this was simply the juiciest chicken I've ever had.  I realized brining was key a while back, but brining AND a roti?  Incredible.  Had a buddy invite himself over just as I was slicing & dicing the chicken and he wasn't interested in dinner as he just ate.  But a chicken breast, taters, and 2 ears of corn later ---- he was done.  lol

Yeah, I might be hooked on this rotisserie thing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:22:53 PM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: My test-drive of the Weber rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »
With that said, lets spin a hunk-o-beef.  Typically I'm more of a crock-pot for beef roasts, but what the hell.

Started with just a 2.5 pounder of eye roast.  Not a good choice as it's very lean & tough.  Works great in a slow cooker, but a roti?

Trimmed up and about ready to spiral this puppy

Cream cheese, feta cheese, herbs, spices, etc....

All wrapped up and wrapped in bacon around the outside.

Would have done a bacon weave, but the package of bacon was 'broke' in the middle and didn't work.
I created a blanket and secured with kitchen twine.

After a few hours in the fridge, it was go time!

After 45 minutes, added some broccoli & corn.   

We're at 116 degrees internal

And we're done

Added some shredded cheese and the broccoli was really good.  Will be doing this more often!

Pulled out the electric knife to slice this baby up.  Yeah, that turned out ok.  ;D

And that's where my photos stopped and the fork took over!  While not the most tender piece of beef, the flavor & juiciness was superb!

Peaspurple - you can come get this roti & Platinum anytime you'd like.  But I gotta warn ya, the first 137 times you pick a day/time, I won't be available and you'll have to reschedule!   :o    ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:11:20 PM by Bman »
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »
Ha! Nice work. I need one of those. Both of those cooks look amazeballs!!! I have one for the old genesis and she makes a mean roti chicken but I don't see a better option than a kettle version in all it's smoky goodness.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
My test-drive of the Weber rotisserie
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
Ok that's it I'm buying one of these next. That looks incredible bman!!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:34:22 PM »
Chad,
I hope the chicken I cook on it look half as good as yours. That piece if beef looked splendid as well. Cook on it as much as you like I'll make it out eventually.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
Excellent form! Thanks for looking out for a fellow WKC member. :) I am glad to see everything turned out ok. Thanks for taking the time to share your brush with danger with us because everything looks superb!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 06:08:09 AM »
Thanks fellas.  Yeah, spinning food adds a different element that I never knew I was missing out on. 
Me thinks Peas is going to be missing out on it a bit longer.  lol
Gotta give more considerations to the CB roti that's dual purpose kettle/WSM

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 06:20:21 AM »

The chicken looked just grand, but that second cookup was.........how you say?

From another planet !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 06:44:15 AM »
Nice work, Chad!  Beautiful food you're turning out.

I think you'll need to do a bit more QC on the roti, though.  I'd hate for it to malfunction somehow and hurt Peas or a member of his family (or one if his other grills).  It's your sworn Grillfella duty to keep up the testing to make sure it's a safe unit.  I know it's a lot of pressure and a huge burden, but I believe you are up to the task.  Godspeed.
One of the charcoal people.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »
Chad,

I'm surprised more of your friends don't "drop by."  You keep putting out meals like that and you'll be very popular.  Great pics - you're giving me a lot of inspiration - thanks!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
Since I conned convinced Peaspurple to wait until next weekend to pick up his roti, might as well put er' to use.   ;D

Seriously now, can anything go wrong when you start like this?

Just a pork loin trimmed up and seasoned with my default favorite - Montreal Steak
\
Followed by a glaze slathering of this.

Which looks like this on one side. 

After transferring to the bacon weave, the other side got slathered also.  But so did my picture taking fingers...   ::)
Wrapped up and heading to the fridge for a few hours.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 06:05:58 PM »
It's game time.  Had to make sure the roti fit on the Red SS also.  Which taught me something - I didn't think it did at first.  Yeah it fit with the spit going north/south, but the ring wobbled a lot.  Once I rotated the ring for an east/west spit, it fit like a glove and rock steady.  Weird.

And we're off.  I used both coal baskets, but only one is visible.  And that's the one I loaded with oak & hickory smoke wood.  :)

After 45 minutes, added a pan of cauliflower.  Which was my reason for opening the lid and peeking.   :-X

Yeah, this is what I had to have for dinner.   :o

Added some cheddar to the 'flower as wifey hauled the bounty to the kitchen counter.

After a ~20 minute rest, I sliced off 4 slabs for wifey & I.  The rest of the loin went back on the platter under foil to continue resting.

I don't do plated pics as I'm too anxious to friggin eat!  lol
Here's the leftovers all sliced up and in the storage container as part of this weeks leftovers.

And just for good measure, I have another chicken brining for tomorrows spin.  Posts to come...
There's also 3 dozen wings sharing the brine for kickoff vittles.

I was hoping to get the roti cooks out of the way so I didn't *want* one of my own.  Yeah, that ain't working out too well....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:22:04 PM by Bman »

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
9/14 Update - My test-drive of the Weber rotisserie
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »
Bman your killing it with these cooks!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: 9/14 Update - My test-drive of the Weber rotisserie
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 07:27:04 PM »
I really need to get the roti ring made for my kettle. I've started. I have a ring cut from a 55 gallon drum. I built a camp fire the other day and burned the paint and lining off. It's just a little bit too big to fit the lid and fit the kettle. I need to cut it and overlap a little and weld it back together. First I need to practice my welding chops so it doesn't look like crap. I've been practicing on some scraps and thin stuff like they use to make drums takes more skill to avoid burning through.

I've done a few chickens on the roti in the gasser and they came out pretty good but I really want to do this over charcoal. And your pictures illustrate why!
kettles, smokers...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: 9/14 Update - My test-drive of the Weber rotisserie
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »
That's beautiful, Bman!  So what are you making next Saturday at the meetup?
One of the charcoal people.