Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hanger Steaks  (Read 1113 times)

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Hanger Steaks
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:58:13 AM »
A suggestions was made that I should prep some Hanger Steaks and cook them for the WKC Aussie Meat. I thought I should try it first, so I started some research and procured some steaks.

This picture clearly shows the two attached parts. The seam of tissue or membrane is visible splitting the two. Apparently in Germany and other parts of Europe, they seperate the two parts and remove that membrane.

I used 2 commercially available rubs, and one that I had made myself.

I coated them with the rub/spices and let them sit to go to room temp.

They were grilled on a direct hot fire. I used some robot turds to assure a high enough heat.

They were turned over a few times to make sure I got all sides of the meat. I got a nice crispyness to the outside of it which added to the texture and flavour.

Done! A little higher than I wanted, but still good.

Sliced and served it after letting it rest. It was accompanied by a Chimchuri sauce and some of that green stuff. I think it's called salad?!?!?!?!

It was a little chewy like I had read that it would be. And the flavour was nice and strong. Would I do this again? Hell yeah! But I'm still unsure if I have used the right techniques for this particular cut. So I really don't have anything to compare it to.

Enjoy.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hanger Steaks
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 04:19:05 AM »
Hanger steaks come trimmed from my butcher here. I love my meat rare, but I cook hangers well done. I have not cooked them with coals though. I usually cook indirect at a pretty med temp, then finish them direct.