Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old Red - cleaned up pics  (Read 4468 times)

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Old Red - cleaned up pics
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »
Finished (for the most part) the 70's Red I got last week. Had to put front leg in different socket to make sure the socket did not come off due to rust and resulting faulty weld. Waiting for a handle from Brian. Still cleaning up twist on ash pan. Wheels are newer style because I only had one original and it was missing the white-wall. Looks good for $25!

Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Old Red - cleaned up pics
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
That's just not fair! Can't wait for the finished pics with handle installed and a fire in her belly. If you get a chance, please post the pics on the Flickr group "Weber Kettles":

http://www.flickr.com/groups/weberkettles/

Great job!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 01:23:09 PM »
Awesome job!  :o Please share how you cleaned the bowl, top and bottom as well as the top vent. Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »
Nice work!  Wow.

I, too, would like to know how you got that top vent so perfectly clean. 
One of the charcoal people.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:35:54 PM »
Top vent was scrubed to death with 0000 steel wool and then polished with Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish. Bowl and lid were cleaned with EasyOff grill cleaner. Sprayed it on and put the lid in a garbage bag for an hour or so under the sun...did this 3 times and the gunk was wiped off and cleaned out. Bowl done the same way except I didn't have a big enough bag to put it in so it just sat in the sun. 2 of the lower vents look just like the top vent. 1 vent was replaced because it was really corroded. Legs are original as well. Mothers M&A polish used on them after being scrubbed with SOS pad. Gonna leave the rust as it, gives it character  ;D
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
She's a beauty! Can't wait to see it when you put on Brian's handle and with the ash catcher. Did you put on new bowl vents on the bottom? I noticed the locking nuts in the bowl like the ones that come with the replacement vents?

Craig

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 03:40:08 AM »
Craig I replaced one of the 3 vents but put the nut and bolts on all 3. The rivets were in bad shape and really loose.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 05:15:57 AM »
Craig I replaced one of the 3 vents but put the nut and bolts on all 3. The rivets were in bad shape and really loose.

Nice!  8)

Craig

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »
Reallllllly nice, I got a few that need cleaning.  It gives me inspiration.  Did you get the handle yet?  I sent them last week.  Maybe Wed.  I really need to see this finished.  Did you polish the legs too? 

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »
Reallllllly nice, I got a few that need cleaning.  It gives me inspiration.  Did you get the handle yet?  I sent them last week.  Maybe Wed.  I really need to see this finished.  Did you polish the legs too? 

Brian

Thanks Brian...I got 1 of the 1-screw handles that I paid for and put it on my performer. No pics yet, working on that. I didn't get any other handles if you sent more than that one. Yes, the legs were polished as well.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 08:14:14 AM »
Oh yea you got the one screw type, I'll get a two rivet one in the mail tomorrow,  then I'll send the others when I get them done, sound like a plan?

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »
Fantastic Brian, thanks!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 01:01:09 PM »
Does the soul good to see another Redhead back from the scrap heap and ready to cook.  I too left the scrapes and chips alone as i couldn't find paint to match, or change her personality ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......