Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: CraigsList Green SS Performer $80  (Read 2300 times)

Tom C

• WKC Brave
CraigsList Green SS Performer $80
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »
I recieved an alert on a SS Performer in Florida for $80, but it was over 2 hours away. But for the right price I can drive, I figured it would be around $50 in gas and around 5 hours of my time.

So I shot a quick E-mail

I would like to know more about your Weber Grill. I am in Orlando and this would be a drive for me. Any chips or scratches? Any thing wrong with it?

The replied:

Yes it has some work needed, needs a new ash sweeper, needs new ignitor, some slight rust at the handle, gas works and tank comes with it ... Probably not worth a drive from Orlando 

I shot back:

Will you take $50 for it?

The replied:

I will definitely drop the price at a later date but I have a few people interested so we will see how it goes. My son is traveling to UCF next week, how much is a delivery worth to you?

I work at UCF(University of Central Florida)

Ok I am looking at $50 for the SS $50 in gas plus 5 hours driving.

In the condition that it is in $20 for a total of $100. I work for UCF so  that would be great. In the picture it looks like it is also missing parts of the lid holder, do you have the missing parts?

The Reply:

That might work but I am Leary of doing all the work to get it to you and then you not like it

I know what I am looking at, can you send me more pics of the trouble spots

The Reply:

My Reply:

DEAL

Now I have to wait to have it delivered to the front door.

I will be starting a parts list so I can order the parts I need.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:48:33 AM by Tom C »

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Re: CraigsList Green SS Performer $80
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »
Wow good deal. A little rough in spots but it should work out nicely with some tlc.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »
Not a bad deal Tom! Hopefully someone can find a 7409 ash sweeper around. That's the hardest part unless you have one already. It will clean up great!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:02 PM »
You can also use the H-style sweeper if you don't (or can't) reuse the ash-catcher bar.  I am using 12 gauge aluminum wire strung through the leg sockets to hold my ash ring on and it isn't going anywhere. Plenty of ways to skin a cat.
Uncommon sense seeker

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:27:12 PM »
Nice find!

Yeah, put a 7409 at the top of your parts list.  I don't think they can be found online anymore... my friend was looking for one, and ordered from two different places that ended up not having them, then a third that send her an H-style and refunded her money.  Then she dropped in a hardware store that had them.  She bought their entire remaining stock (2).

...or you can work on any number of alternate workarounds, as Glenn wisely notes.

My money is on that ignitor working just fine with some cleanup and TLC.  I've worked on maybe 7 SS Performers, and they almost always fire up with a good cleaning of the tube and ignitor.  And I'm betting you can get the missing bale wire from Weber.  I know you can get the rollers. 
One of the charcoal people.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »
My ash bar was a bit weak so I made it solid again by sticking some very thin metal tent stakes through the leg sockets. A new h style ash sweeper will work if you can hold the ash assembly up.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Tom C

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »
Will the ash sweep for a 93 OTS work. I pick up a 93 OTS that the bowl is in bad shape.
I picked the 93 for spare parts and to use the lid and grill for a UDS.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:35:14 AM by Tom C »

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »
Hey, Tom, please disregard the Private Message I just sent you. Didn't realize you were  using the OTS for parts.  My bad. 

Yes, if you can get the ash sweep off of the 93 OTS, you should be able to use it on your Performer.  Be *very* careful backing that thumb screw out, because if they are rusty at all they are very easy to twist off.  Get some WD-40 or PB Blaster on it, and let it soak in really well.  And/or consider using a propane torch to put some heat on the 'nut' to loosen that up. 

Yeah, I think many of us will be looking to re-use 7409s from older grills in the coming years.  That's a smart move, Tom.

Tom C

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »
Thanks Mike,

PB Blaster did the trick I applied it 4 time in a hour and the thumb screw came right out.

So I will be using the ash sweep from the trashed OTS to repair the SS performer.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:53:50 PM by Tom C »

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 06:11:32 AM »
Brilliant!  Great reuse/recycle work there, Tom! 

Can't wait for you to get to work on your SS.  Pretty sweet that it'll be delivered right to you, too.

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:21:17 AM »
PB Blaster is magic in a can. I'll never use WD-40 again.