Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weird gas flow on 2003 Performer  (Read 2096 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Weird gas flow on 2003 Performer
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »
So I scored my first SS Performer at an estate sale.  It was all there-- grates, old-style wire-type coal baskets, cover, thermo, gas tank, and I even dug around in the garage and found the missing plastic coal container. 

So I topped off the tank and it lit right up.  But after the burner fired for a few minutes, it will do this intermittent pah-pah-pah-pah sounding thing, at a rate of a little more than 1 per second.  The burner doesn't go out, but just runs consistently with this constant interruption.  It does it whether I have the gas running at full open or tweaked down.  And after about 10 or so starting sessions, the burner is hard to get lit in the first place, requiring a few pops of the ignitor (but then it burns with the above pattern). 

Any thoughts?  I removed the burner assembly to clean the bowl, but haven't done anything to the burner itself other than reattach it.  Does it need to be cleaned, or have parts replaced or something? 

Also, how long do most folks use the burner?  For the whole lighting cycle, or just for a couple of minutes to get started? 
One of the charcoal people.

Smokin Hutch

• Smokey Joe
Re: Weird gas flow on 2003 Performer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »
Mike, at the end of the rubber gas hose that plugs into the burner tube, there is a small brass fitting with a tiny hole in it where the gas comes out. Take a wire brush and clean it, as well as use a small piece of wire to clean out that hole. Also make sure you burner tube is clean. This should fix your problem (Atleast it has for me)

As far as how long to use the gas ignition, I use a chimney over the burner for a minute or two and then turn the gas off and let the chimney finish lighting on its own. Hope this helps.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:03:39 PM »
I had trouble lighting mine, then i replaced the ignition system that didn't fix it then i replaced the regulator and hose and now it starts first go. I use the burner for about 10mins and then let the charcoal/ briquettes fully ash over before use
Cheers
Joel
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »
Many thanks to both of you!  I will get those parts cleaned up when I get a chance, and see if that helps.  I only spent $25 for this Performer, so I don't mind putting a little money into it if new parts are necessary. 

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »
I believe I owe you gents a beer!  I only had a minute today, so I just pulled off that brass fitting, cleaned it up with a wire brush, cleaned out the hole, and put it all back together.  Works perfectly now. 

Thanks so much!