Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SS Performer Newbie questions  (Read 4000 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
SS Performer Newbie questions
« on: September 07, 2014, 01:01:39 PM »
I've been looking for a new kettle BBq and was looking at the new Performer Platinum, when I ran across information (including here - great community btw) on the SS performer.  This looks to me like a much better unit and without the plastic table.  One concern for me is that the plastic table will melt in high heat cooking.  Overall, I think the SS performer is going to be the bbq for me.  I have several questions.  I've looked for answers to these and have not readily found them.  Many others have been answered by research here and via google.

My preference would be to get a new one.  How much did these sell for? 

When were they available? (I've seen them as old as 1998 and as new as 2004).

Over their lifetime, what changes were there?  I have picked up that the ash catcher has changed.  Anything else?

I would prefer the Performer without the small castors.  Is this only available with the non-gas assist?

Could I buy a set of non-castor legs and replace the legs with castors?

I see that a lot of parts are available online.  Could I build a new one from parts?  It does seem that some parts are no longer available.  Maybe a trashed unit could supply what is not available?

Will a new kettle fit in the cart?  Could I build a cart from parts and install a new kettle?

Were these shipped assembled new or did they require assembly?

Is it possible to hinge the SS panel on the inside, so that the handle is toward the outside and not in the middle of table?

I see what looks to be a cast iron cooking grid divided into what look like 4 removable quadrants in some pics of the SS Performer.  Is or was this grid available with the SS Performers?  Is it available today?

Thanks, Pete
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:21:42 PM by ClubChapin »

Troy

• Statesman
Re: SS Performer Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 01:36:02 PM »
I've been looking for a new kettle BBq and was looking at the new Performer Platinum, when I ran across information (including here - great community btw) on the SS performer.  This looks to me like a much better unit and without the plastic table.  One concern for me is that the plastic table will melt in high heat cooking.  Overall, I think the SS performer is going to be the bbq for me.  I have several questions.  I've looked for answers to these and have not readily found them.  Many others have been answered by research here and via google.
Many prefer the old, but plenty prefer the new. That plastic on the table won't melt, but it will stain if you don't take care of it. I prefer the newer ones, as they sit a few inches higher and the work surface doesn't have a weird handle in middle of it.

My preference would be to get a new one.  How much did these sell for? 
Good luck finding a new SS. As I recall, they sold for quite a bit more than the modern performer. I seem to remember them being $419 for non gas and 479 for gas.

When were they available? (I've seen them as old as 1998 and as new as 2004).
Sounds about right. @Craig will know for sure.

Over their lifetime, what changes were there?  I have picked up that the ash catcher has changed.  Anything else?
Handles (shape), thermometers (went from crappy angled through the handle to accurate lid mounted), ash bucket/ring (went from using a bar mount to clipping into leg sockets), and one-touch system (went from hex mount/dremel remove to H-locking). Propane system went from 5lb refillable tank to disposable tank.

I would prefer the Performer without the small castors.  Is this only available with the non-gas assist?
Yes, but you can simply remove the castors.

Could I buy a set of non-castor legs and replace the legs with castors?
or just remove castors

I see that a lot of parts are available online.  Could I build a new one from parts?  It does seem that some parts are no longer available.  Maybe a trashed unit could supply what is not available?
not going to be worth it. Just find a used one and restore it. Costs will be minimal

Will a new kettle fit in the cart?  Could I build a cart from parts and install a new kettle?
yes. modern performer kettle will fit old cart and vice versa
Were these shipped assembled new or did they require assembly?
required assembly

Is it possible to hinge the SS panel on the inside, so that the handle is toward the outside and not in the middle of table?
Probably. Figure it out and post how - I'd like to do this as well!

I see what looks to be a cast iron cooking grid divided into what look like 4 removable quadrants in some pics of the SS Performer.  Is or was this grid available with the SS Performers?  Is it available today?
That's aftermarket, non weber. It's made by craycort and is still available here.

Thanks, Pete

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 01:46:15 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. 

Regarding removing the swivel castors, won't that leave the cart sitting at an angle?  I'd like to leave the large round wheels in place, just delete the small locking castors.

Regarding the modern table and melting, I'd like to get the pizza kit that someone makes and run up to 800F.  Do you think the new material would survive 800F or a little more?  (I'm not sure a gas assist hose would survive that...)

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:51:32 PM by ClubChapin »

wrehfield

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
I  see you are in Washington State, looking for a Performer. Depending on
what part of the State you are in, there are a couple on the Seatte Craigs list.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 02:17:48 PM »
I hit 1100 in my modern performer.
It melted the rollers on the lid bail, but everything else was fine.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:55:51 PM »
what part of the State you are in, there are a couple on the Seatte Craigs list.

Thanks, looking now.  (I'm in Seattle)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »
I hit 1100 in my modern performer.
It melted the rollers on the lid bail, but everything else was fine.

That's good to know.  That said, I think I am more inclined to like the older unit.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 03:16:48 PM »
Here's two on my local Craigslist (Thanks wrehfield!).

What should I look for as I consider these?

Is there a way to tell which generation either of these are? 

I like the Green one.  Was this a standard color?  It has what I think are older charcoal baskets.  It looks very clean.

The black one seems to have more rust, including on the tank and bottom of the cart.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/for/4646189027.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/for/4646925051.html

Thank again, Pete

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 03:38:02 PM »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »
Also, what is the difference between the Pre-2000 and 2000 - 2004 SS Performer?

I've read that the Ash catcher is different.

I think that the charcoal baskets may be different.  Is this true?

Are there other differences?

Is there a difference in the kettle between a 2000 - 2004 Performer and a 2005 - 2014 Performer?

Do the current model kettle parts work on the SS Performer?

Thanks again, Pete

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »

Thanks again Wrehfield!  I picked up the nicer of these two units on the Seattle CL.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:29:23 PM by ClubChapin »