Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for a way to mount an 18" WSM on a 22" Performer cart  (Read 3944 times)

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
Looking for a way to mount an 18" WSM on a 22" Performer cart
« on: September 21, 2015, 03:14:57 PM »
either using an SS or Plastic table performer.  Gas ignition not important 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Looking for a way to mount an 18" WSM on a 22" Performer cart
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »
I have seen someone make a shelf of some sorts where the WSM would sit, not sure if they fastened it in or not.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 04:56:12 PM »
I think I definitely want  the WSM to be fastened to the cart 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 10:07:55 AM »
Does it have to be a Performer cart?

I always admired the Don Marco 18" WSM mod on the Platinum cart, but when I played around with my 18" bullet on a OTS bowl ash buildup and intake control was always a concern to me. I was into Low 'n Slow at the time and long cooks generated too much ash for me to go any further with it.

When I gutted a Performer to build my dual 18" WSM cart, I wanted to keep the clean lines of the frame and wire bottom rack somewhat intact. I was able to secure PVC pipe caps to two sides of the frame and used the shelf frame of a 1000 gasser side table in the center of the  frame to hold the other leg of the 2 bullets.

I had the bowls aligned so a vent was in the front for easy control, the pipe caps held the WSM legs securely but easy to remove and replace. It was the perfect working height for me, and it rolled easily across the deck if it started raining on my cooks.

What did you have in mind to secure the WSM to your cart?
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
@swamprb Great looking setup!  How did you put the thermometer probes through the vent rivets?
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
my current idea is to buy 4 "L" brackets & 4 studs - put/thread the studs into the 4 holes that secure the kettle. Put my WSM on the cart (feet on the bottom {I suspect that this will need more work}), Drill holes in the WSM to secure the "L"brackets, and that should be that.  There will not be nuts on the studs holding the brackets to the cart so that the WSM can be lifted out for ash emptying.  It will be mounted so that the door can easily be opened and all the lower vents shold be accessible.  Advice is requested.

I also have a Seville cart that I would like to use for this purpose if I can figure out how to do it  8)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »
my current idea is to buy 4 "L" brackets & 4 studs - put/thread the studs into the 4 holes that secure the kettle. Put my WSM on the cart (feet on the bottom {I suspect that this will need more work}), Drill holes in the WSM to secure the "L"brackets, and that should be that.  There will not be nuts on the studs holding the brackets to the cart so that the WSM can be lifted out for ash emptying.  It will be mounted so that the door can easily be opened and all the lower vents shold be accessible.  Advice is requested.

I also have a Seville cart that I would like to use for this purpose if I can figure out how to do it  8)

Why do you feel you need to drill into the WSM?

....so you want to keep it Weber themed?

If you have a Seville cart, have you taken a look through the Naked Whiz Ceramic Cooker Table Gallery?  There are a lot of wooden structures that have that Seville thing going on.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm?I1

Before I gutted the Performer, the Metro carts were always spinning on my brain!

I had a couple Large BGE's on a commercial Metro cart. It never moved off my deck it was so heavy!

Here is an old pic of Sugar's Barbeque with WSM's and Kettles on Metro carts

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 07:23:14 AM »
I want that set up badly - good looking and fully functional. That's a win-win
Keep it simple stupid

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 02:23:23 PM »
@swamprb Great looking setup!  How did you put the thermometer probes through the vent rivets?

Drilled through the rivets. It helps to lay the rivet on a piece of rubber to keep the rivet from spinning. I used a piece of radiator hose.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »
@swamprb - do I see TTT's on your two WSM's? I am having trouble getting the silicone bands to hold them on - do you leave the upright vents outside the TTT but inside the bands?  close-up pics of the TTT on the vent would be appreciated
Thanks 8)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »
@Red Kettle Rich -

What are these TTT's you speak of? Please elaborate.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »
Brian- TTT is the TipTop Temp controller that appears to be attached to the top vent of the pair on WSMs in one of your pix, http://tiptoptemp.com/

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 06:16:39 PM »
Brian- TTT is the TipTop Temp controller that appears to be attached to the top vent of the pair on WSMs in one of your pix, http://tiptoptemp.com/

No, scroll up the page ^^^^

Those are Weber Gasser thermos mounted through the vent rivet.