Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **Pellet fired Weber WSM**  (Read 10282 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
**Pellet fired Weber WSM**
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »
OK- I know this is the Weber Kettle Club, and if this is inappropriate for this forum, please feel free to delete this post and ban me, but I thought that this may be of some interest to some of the members that have a 22" WSM.

A Pellet fired WSM!

I know it may be blasphemous to some, and I can hear the snickers and people asking WHY? Hey- I even did so myself when I first saw a pic of a mod a year ago. But when Chris from Cajun Bandit told me about it and how much he thought of it, I was game to give it a try.

This is the Pellet Pro Stacker ring conversion for the 22" WSM. A digitally controlled 36000 BTU hopper assembly that connects to a specially designed gloss black powder coated rolled steel ring. The only modification to the WSM is removing a lower cook grate bracket bolt and inserting a pit probe grommet. (ferrule with stop nut-like the Cajun Bandit and Stoker probe grommets)
From the folks that make the Smoke Daddy Cold Smoke Generator.

http://www.pelletprogrill.com/stacker.html

Assembly is very easy, two brackets are secured to the ring with stainless steel fasteners, and the Pellet Pro hopper is them mounted via 4 bolts, and the hopper arm is sealed with aluminum duct tape. Took me 20 minutes top to set up.

Temp probe inserted through the grommet

The ring fits securely over the bowl and the WSM center section slips into the top of the Stacker- precision rolled edges top and bottom.
A leg slips into the side of the hopper assembly and tightens with thumbscrews, Very solid and stable.

Hopper and Auger drive

I'm still playing around with it, the instructions are easy to understand and operate. I used the Smoke feature to pound some heavy Pecan and Hickory on some fresh sausages I stuffed and they turned out great-nice smoke ring on the pork links.

Top-Buffalo Hot Wing Chicken sausages. L-Mild Italian R-English Bangers smoked at 180*

Then I cranked the temp up to 350* for some Wings

Remove the pit probe and hopper/Stacker ring, replace the charcoal ring and its the WSM we all love.

So far so good! A pellet cooker is the only thing missing in my arsenal of cookers, and I don't really have the room for another grill, but the Pellet Pro conversion fits the bill. And I'm also a big Drum Smoker fan, so I got an extra set of brackets to modify one of my UDS's down the road!

Let me hear what you all think about it?

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
Re: **Pellet fired Weber WSM**
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
Interesting. Those are Traeger components. Wonder how they pulled that off. Years ago I tried buying a full hopper assembly from Traeger to use in the side of an old refrigerator and they wouldn't sell it to me because "it sounds like someone is trying to building their own smoker" and I was even a dealer at that point.
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:33:51 PM »
Thanks for the post swamp...I use my 18.5 quite a bit and enjoy using it too. Interesting mods!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

fat side down

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »
For competitions, and the majority of the smoking I do, I do it on UDS's that I've built myself. 
I prefer the charcoal and true pit flavor you get from the drums.  Several years ago, I won a Traeger Jr. in a contest.  At first I was thrilled...  I put it together and played around with it...did some pizza, meatloaf, appetizers, a couple of butts, etc...  but I got bored with it.  To me, it wasn't BBQing...  It was more like using an oven. 
I did take it to a couple of contests and used it for our chicken...but 2 contests in a row, it blew the fuses and we didn't use it.  I ended up giving it to a guy so I didn't have to haul it home.  I can honestly say I don't miss it one bit.

If pellets are your thing, this might be for you...but not for me.
To each his own I guess...

Smoke daddy

• Happy Cooker
    • Smoke Daddy Inc
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
Interesting. Those are Traeger components. Wonder how they pulled that off. Years ago I tried buying a full hopper assembly from Traeger to use in the side of an old refrigerator and they wouldn't sell it to me because "it sounds like someone is trying to building their own smoker" and I was even a dealer at that point.

I would like to introduce myself.  I am Dennis from Smoke Daddy Inc.  A lot of the pellet grills on the market are similar and all work about the same and use the same components.  These hopper assemblies are Pellet Pro Grill assemblies.  These are made specifically for us and our pellet grill line.  We felt that the DIY's could benefit from the complete hopper assemblies.  Thanks -Dennis

Thank you swamprb for the post
WHO'S YOUR SMOKE DADDY?

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »
Fair enough. Why does the fire pot in the top two photos look so different than the one in the bottom two pics? The bottom pics are what caught my attention. Same 4 sheet metal screws that tend to gall with the heat and twist off or strip out when you go to change the igniter rod, same orange peel looking powder coat, etc. I now see that the top unit is quite different.

Edit: I see it now. Lighting caused me to not see what I was looking at. All cool here bro.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:54:57 PM by Mmmmm »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
For competitions, and the majority of the smoking I do, I do it on UDS's that I've built myself. 
I prefer the charcoal and true pit flavor you get from the drums.  Several years ago, I won a Traeger Jr. in a contest.  At first I was thrilled...  I put it together and played around with it...did some pizza, meatloaf, appetizers, a couple of butts, etc...  but I got bored with it.  To me, it wasn't BBQing...  It was more like using an oven. 
I did take it to a couple of contests and used it for our chicken...but 2 contests in a row, it blew the fuses and we didn't use it.  I ended up giving it to a guy so I didn't have to haul it home.  I can honestly say I don't miss it one bit.

If pellets are your thing, this might be for you...but not for me.
To each his own I guess...

Absolutely- to each his own!
A couple years ago, a dealer let me demo a CS-450 Pellet grill, I suppose I wasn't really ready for it at the time, but I did like the ease of use, set it and forget it aspect of it and I did use the helloutovit - low n' slow/hot n' fast/baking, just like you, and I sent it back. And I also owned a couple offsets, but even using all wood or charcoal to cook on them they were not for me either. I use a Cookshack Smokette electric to try out different recipes/rubs during the week when I'm unable to tend a fire and like to use Mojobricks for smoke, and I'm sure folks frown on that as well. If you look at my signature, I'm not really beholden to one particular cooker-but I do use them at home and competitions and proficient on them all. I never get bored, just wish there were more time to play!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
**Pellet fired Weber WSM**
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
That's a really cool mod in my book. I'm all about using different types of cooking methods. It keeps me fresh and interested in trying new things. There are purists in everything, but to me it's about the journey and what you learn along the way.

I'm weber to the core but haven't obtained a wsm yet. So when I found a char-griller akorn (kamado) marked down at $165 I grabbed it. It's interesting and found its way into my grill rotation. It does different things (nothing more or less than my kettle) but its fun to use. Actually I haven't stated I grabbed it yet because this is a weber forum. But everyone here is really cool so hopefully I don't get the ban hammer!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: **Pellet fired Weber WSM**
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 03:33:27 PM »
We felt that the DIY's could benefit from the complete hopper assemblies.

WAITAMINUTE! ^^^^^ Missed that part! Are you telling me that my pellet fridge smoker idea isn't dead? I'm excited now! PM me a price and your contact info. ;D

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »
Interesting setup, could be something to look into. I look at this way if you want to cook on an open pit or cook with pellets or what ever go for it!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »

swamprb ......You've got one of the most interesting signature lines around.....I've seen it all around....the whole time I've been cooking over the InterToob...............................
DRIVE ON !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »

swamprb ......You've got one of the most interesting signature lines around.....I've seen it all around....the whole time I've been cooking over the InterToob...............................
DRIVE ON !!!!!

Thanks! I like your Avatar!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 06:31:09 PM »

I would like to introduce myself.  I am Dennis from Smoke Daddy Inc.  A lot of the pellet grills on the market are similar and all work about the same and use the same components.  These hopper assemblies are Pellet Pro Grill assemblies.  These are made specifically for us and our pellet grill line.  We felt that the DIY's could benefit from the complete hopper assemblies.  Thanks -Dennis

Hi Dennis and welcome to the WKC. Pellets are not high on my list but I'm sure they will interest some here. And I think it is good that there are folks like you that are expanding what our Webers can do. I hope we don't bother you with too many questions. ;)
kettles, smokers...

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »
Personally, I think it's pretty cool...... I am always looking for something different to experiment with..... Is this product made in China?..... Just curious????? & thanks & welcome.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 11:06:31 PM »

Welcome Dennis! I see you are in Waukegan. I grew up in Mundelein!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791