Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to clean a stainless steel grill pan?  (Read 17442 times)

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to clean a stainless steel grill pan?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
I use powdered BKF and slightly wet it then swirl it in. Leave it for a minute or so then scrub. Is it discoloration or carbon?

SimSportPlyr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »
The stuff I haven't been able to clean off yet is a mix of brown and black.   The brown stuff reminds me of burned-/baked-on oil.   The black stuff I assume is carbon.

Should I post a photo?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 05:59:45 AM »

Photos never hurt.....

I'm reluctant to keep adding onto to the list of products someone should go out & buy, but there's more high powered grill / grate cleaners out there (I have a couple different around), Krud Kutter (Home Depot, etc.) will work on some things & is bio-friendly......

Certain stains just won't lift with acidic cleaners, others will.....Duke had a method for taking rust, etc. off  old grates & I'm pretty sure it was vinegar & baking soda.....perhaps that combo would work where other things will glance over the stain / crud.....

I'll see if I can find his mixup.....meantime, I wouldn't use one of those heavier steel scrub pads....pretty sure that would just scratch.....SOS is like finer steel wool & will probably be just fine
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 07:07:04 AM »
Plain old white vinegar is a miracle cleaner. Mix white vinegar with water and you have one of the best bacteria killers, rust killers, and general cleaners aroubd

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »
Simsportplyr, I have two different Weber SS pans that I've been using for several months now.  I've tried most of the recommendations you got (Bar Keepers Friend, steel wool, etc) but have yet to get either pan as clean as I'd like.  I try to get the most of the carbon off, but am resigned that I'll never be able to get rid of the discoloration.

SimSportPlyr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 04:42:20 PM »
Simsportplyr, I have two different Weber SS pans that I've been using for several months now.  I've tried most of the recommendations you got (Bar Keepers Friend, steel wool, etc) but have yet to get either pan as clean as I'd like.  I try to get the most of the carbon off, but am resigned that I'll never be able to get rid of the discoloration.

Migrating the discussion back to the correct sub-forum.

Doctor Weber (!!),

I tried a thick baking soda paste (soda-water) this afternoon, leaving it on the black parts for half an hour or more.   Then, I scrubbed with a plastic scrubby, got nowhere.

Then, I tried a (less thick) vinegar-baking soda mix, and that didn't work, either.

I have successfully used a vinegar-baking soda mix to eliminate charred stuff (usually, burnt sugar) on saucepans before, but I was able to heat up the vinegar-soda mix.  Due to the large size of the grill pan it is non-trivial to heat it up and scrub, and I'm sure that the lack of heat reduced the effectiveness of the vinegar-soda mix.

I recalled that one of you kettle-masters suggested using a razor blade, so I got out an old steak knife and within a couple minutes was able to remove all of the significant remaining black sections on top of the pan.   It was a heckofalot easier than scrubbing.

So, now I would say that the grill pan is clean enough for my sensibilities.

In the future, I think that a mix of BKF and scraping will do the trick without excessive effort.   I'll also try an oil with a much higher smoke point, like peanut.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions!   Without you I probably would have given up on grilling and taking up drinking!