Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Full of bologna!  (Read 2882 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Full of bologna!
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »
In my continuous chase to smoke everything I can think of on a grill, I have heard for many years about bbq bologna. While I'm not a huge fan of bologna myself my wife likes it. I saw a bbq pitboys video on it and decided to give it a shot.

Here it is cross sliced and with mustard brushed over it.

Then I rubbed it down and placed some brown sugar on top. Here it is going onto the akorn(I'm still learning this grill, hopefully I won't get the boot for posting these!)

Another after about three hours of apple wood smoke and some homemade bbq sauce brushed on.  I tossed some corn on for fun.

And the final product

Not a bad sandwich! Sweet and smokey, could use a quick brown on a hot grill but not bad.

All in all not bad for some Tennessee prime rib!

Thanks for looking!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
Re: Full of bologna!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:39:52 AM »
That looks pretty damn good!! There was a fella at the BBQ cookoff last weekend in Vista that was giving out tastes of this but his didn't look anywhere near as good as yours.

"Tennessee prime rib.." LMAO. That is funny!!
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
Love the 'Tennessee Prime Rib'! I may have to try that sometime. How is the Akorn working out? Please tell more about the pros and cons.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Full of bologna!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »
Thanks guys!

Duke the akorn is a decent grill especially if you can find one marked down. They run $300 at lowes normally, I found mine at Kroger on clearance for $165.

Pros, very very low fuel consumption, I wouldn't doubt It could run a low and slow cook for over 24+ hours on one load of coal. They retain heat really well and hold it. Very solid build quality considering its a char-griller. They come with cast iron grates and a warming rack that attaches to a slot in the grate. You can touch the outside of the grill at 400+ degrees and not get burnt. With a 3 year old that's a big plus for me. It's hot still but you have enough time to react before you get hurt. They have a good contained ash pan system. Two wooden tables or plastic depending on where you get it.

Cons: most not all have air leaks from the factory. Making low and slow tough under 250f. A $8 tube of high temp rtv sealer fixed that for me. I can run 215-225f easily now. If you want to run low temps and overshoot it by going to high, it takes awhile to come down. It also takes a bit of time to reach temp for low and slow since you have to let it come up slowly. I'm normally a wood chip guy since its easily found at the store. Which is great in a kettle using the snake method, you can see exactly where the fire will travel. In a kamado you don't know where the fire is going to move through the pile, therefore you can't guess what chips will light. I've found the smoke to be lighter than my kettle because it isn't lighting where I thought it would. I just bought some chunks to help that though.

Most of the problems are just growing pains that I'm learning. It's not a replacement to my webers more of a fun learning experience. I do like it a lot, and has a place in my rotation. My weber can do just about everything the akorn can except for fuel consumption. They are just an efficient way to burn charcoal. Lump charcoal is recommended in these because of the lower ash production. That's fine if your a guy that uses lump regularly but I'm a kingsford blue bag guy. I've been using royal oak from Walmart because its cheap, and pretty good quality.

If you are interested in trying a kamado style grill, the akorn is hard to beat for the price. 

Sorry for the long post! Hopefully I answered a few questions. Feel free to ask if you have more.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Full of bologna!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »
Right on smoke. I've had mine for a couple years now and they are very versatile cookers. I'm with you KBB all the way. But I do recommend chunks over chips in the Akorn.
A Wonderful Family!!!

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 04:26:13 AM »
Growing up, we had lots of lows, where we ate lots of bologna sandwiches when money was tight. My dad would buy the cheap stuff, and slice it thick. Usually fried in a pan and we ate it with olive oil jalapenos or horseradish, mayo, and cheese if we had it. Wonderbread.

I didnt eat bologna sandwiches for a long time as a late teen, and all the way until late twenties, but now I crave those stupid sandwiches.

**Olive oil jalapenos is a thing my father would make when he got bags of jalapenos from friend's gardens. He would buy cheap regular olive oil (not extra virgin), slice the jalapenos 1/4" thick (6mm for you Europeans, everything east of 'Murica is Europe), put them in a large saute pan, flame as low as possible, cover the jalapenos in the oil, and let them steep, not fry until soft. Can them in ball jars. 2 weeks later, you got olive oil peppers. When the peppers ran out, we used the oil as a condiment.

Horseradish was just simply fresh horseradish ground and mixed with white vinegar, and canned.