Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Realization  (Read 6802 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Realization
« on: April 28, 2024, 04:26:07 PM »
Sitting here tonight on the deck with my Mrs…. 75 Gourmet, 77 Yachtsman, 98 Genesis and gen 1 Summit in view.  Cannot believe that these yellow grills were cooking food for some families when I was a child in 2nd or third grade.  I was learning multiplication tables, nouns and verbs and didn’t even realize much past my bicycle ride to and from school and making sure my lunch money stayed in my pocket.  That 55 cents meant a lot each day and my mom made sure I had it each day.  Anyway, it’s a bit surreal to think about and wonder where these kettles were then…and somehow I look over at Beaux and he seems to understand my wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 04:56:21 PM by bamakettles »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Realization
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 04:42:07 PM »
Promise of rain within the next few days…. These beauties will rest inside and continue to be loved as they were with their previous owners….. Wish I could have a conversation with them…

« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 04:58:19 PM by bamakettles »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Realization
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 06:34:33 PM »
Greg, I wonder the same!   My favorite kettles are the ones I was able to get the back story on. 

My first “vintage” kettle after I discovered the WKC in 2017 was an A code weathered warrior.   I bought it from the grandson of the original owner. 

My 1962 Wood Dale Texan was used as a garden planter in Minnesota for over 20 years.   Kennedy was President when it was pressed and enameled!

I bought a Statesman while on vacation in Minnesota two years ago.  The daughter of the original owner had it at their parent’s lake house since 1975 and that’s where it stayed till I bought it. 

My patent pending Caribbean and Warrior were both estate sale finds and original owners. 

My 2000 18 purple one touch was new in the box.   The owners told me they bought it at Lowe’s in 2000 and never assembled it.  They “discovered” it in 2021 when they were cleaning up the garage!   lol. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 12:19:54 AM »
Awesome stories Michael…. Agree, it’s fun to know the back stories.  I have a few like that.  Would be so neat to see these treasures in action back in the day….. I picture scenes like the ones on the old catalogs posted here on the WKC page.  Neat stuff…

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 10:07:53 AM »
Let's see, by that time I had graduated from HS and was attending college.  My family had long since left the charcoal world for the convenience of propane.  Even when we were using charcoal we had nothing as sophisticated as a Weber.  Nor were our gassers ever Webers . . .

My dad stayed with grills like this (minus the roti and it's support) until the 70's.

My dad especially loved the ability to raise the grill (center support) to try and slow down the cooking and reduce flare-ups.

BD
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 10:09:40 AM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 10:41:30 AM »
Let's see, by that time I had graduated from HS and was attending college.  My family had long since left the charcoal world for the convenience of propane.  Even when we were using charcoal we had nothing as sophisticated as a Weber.  Nor were our gassers ever Webers . . .

My dad stayed with grills like this (minus the roti and it's support) until the 70's.

My dad especially loved the ability to raise the grill (center support) to try and slow down the cooking and reduce flare-ups.

BD
I totally remember those, very popular although we never had one.  The first grill we ever had that I can remember was an aluminum Structo model that was (as fate would have it) yellow.  I believe we got it with green stamps if that puts a date on my old self....  Here's a picture of one from Google.  Ours was just like it and in the mid 70s I was given permission to light the fire for every cook.  Back then the lighter fluid was about as flammable as gasoline and didn't smell much better.  I loved building a cooking fire back then... still do!

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
Realization
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 12:36:03 PM »
“Now that’s a Fiiirre!” Making me remember Eddie Murphy’s skit from back in the day, @bamakettles!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 12:48:20 PM »

“Now that’s a Fiiirre!” Making me remember Eddie Murphy’s skit from back in the day, @bamakettles!

OMG I haven’t thought about that in decades… I actually have the Eddie Murphy vinyl album…. Columbia House record club.  I still remember taping that Penney to the membership card with my selection of 10 LPs.

cdp8

• WKC Brave
Realization
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 07:06:54 AM »
We’re all getting old. I’d wager the average WKC member is north of 50. I was mountain biking with a buddy yesterday and it dawned on us we’ve been MTBing together on that particular trail for over 30 years. Time flies. Edited to remove Debbie downer comment.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 07:49:41 AM by cdp8 »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 02:08:11 PM »

OMG I haven’t thought about that in decades… I actually have the Eddie Murphy vinyl album…. Columbia House record club.  I still remember taping that Penney to the membership card with my selection of 10 LPs.

And how f-ing hard it was to get out of the club after you got sucked into it ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2024, 05:13:00 AM »

And how f-ing hard it was to get out of the club after you got sucked into it ! ! !

BD
True..... I remember saving my allowance and giving it back to my mom so she could write the check for the records I had to purchase.  I still have all that vinyl and some vintage turntables and equipment to play them on when we have "Music Night". 

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 02:49:02 PM »
I've passed all of my vinyl on to one of my S-i-Ls.  No room for it in the Motor Coach . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2024, 07:47:35 AM »
About a year ago......

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2024, 11:35:07 AM »
How things can change in a years time. Now the grand child's room? Worth the trade.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2024, 01:58:36 PM »

How things can change in a years time. Now the grand child's room? Worth the trade.
Yes, much better now, although there’s still one grill on there…. Hers!

And of course Beaux thinks it’s his room lol….