Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Annual hunt for daily charcoal  (Read 1936 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Annual hunt for daily charcoal
« on: April 14, 2024, 03:53:17 PM »
It's frustrating to me.  Each year, the charcoal I bought the year before disappears or turns into crap.  Last year, Cowboy Briquettes were a staple.  $9.99 per bag at TSC.  This year, it's nowhere near me.  Tried Jealous devil Briquettes from the Home Despot.   It sucks for high temp and the price is $20 per bag.  Royal Oak, which once was a staple but became crappy remains crappy.  Only now, it doesn't last as long.  B&B is at Ace, but almost $20 for 16 lbs.  I hate Kingsford. 

I can use lump based on my SnS+ baskets.  But quality lump is also now pricey as shit.  So.... suggestions? Let the annual charcoal thread begin.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

vader

• Smokey Joe
Re: Annual hunt for daily charcoal
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 02:49:42 AM »
WM carries Cowboy briquettes in a twin pack for under $18.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 03:53:18 AM »
Although I've not used briquettes in quite a wile other than vortex cooks I'm still seeing B&B orange bag 20lb for 9.99 at Academy Sports here in Huntsville/Madison area.  Agree, not a big fan of JD briquettes, although the XL lump is awesome.  Got a Wal Mart special on JD XL lump over the winter for 9.99/20lb bag delivered.  Working on the 8 bag haul I got and put in my storage unit.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 04:27:45 AM »
I am currently trying jealous devil xl briqs, i like them so far. I didn't think that they struggle to get hot @Foster Dahlet  everything is pricey right now for sure
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 06:30:15 AM »
@vader walmart does not carry Cowboy briquettes in my town right now.  @BamaKettle Academy sports is about 35 minutes away.  I'd prefer to find something locally if I can, but it looks like I might have to make the drive.  @JEBIV I'll try JD again.  Maybe I got a bad bag.  I remember now that other charcoal I got from the local HD had this problem.  I wonder if it's a storage issue.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 07:19:37 AM »
I only have 2 cooks so far but very pleased, this was last night. Ran 40 minutes cooking potatoes in foil, opened her up to cook the skirt steak hot and fast, you can see it got hot lol

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 09:56:36 AM »
Went by Academy today and I misquoted…B&B orange is 17.6lbs.  Still have plenty though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 08:07:50 PM »
I have to say, I’m very disappointed with Cowboy briqs. They don’t last very long and they are nothing left over. So close vents and next cook they just poof fall apart, every other I’ve used you could reuse the leftovers

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 07:50:22 AM »
I have to say, I’m very disappointed with Cowboy briqs. They don’t last very long and they are nothing left over. So close vents and next cook they just poof fall apart, every other I’ve used you could reuse the leftovers

I've experienced the same with my latest bag of cowboy briqs, also has a funny taste I haven't experienced from them before.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 01:36:36 PM »
B&B orange bag is between $13-$17 depending on store and time of year but I think I get way more time out of a bag of it vs something like kbb or royal oak if you snuff coals and reuse.  Takes a bit longer to get going.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 05:17:52 PM »
B&B orange bag is between $13-$17 depending on store and time of year but I think I get way more time out of a bag of it vs something like kbb or royal oak if you snuff coals and reuse.  Takes a bit longer to get going.
If you have an academy sports on the south side, they have B&b orange bag for $10 a bag for the 17.5 lb bag.   We just got one in Avon and it’s my got to now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 04:19:42 AM »
If you have an academy sports on the south side, they have B&b orange bag for $10 a bag for the 17.5 lb bag.   We just got one in Avon and it’s my got to now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One just opened by me.  I'll check it out.

rober

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 10:59:44 AM »
another thing i hate about royal oak is that they bought out most of the Independant kilns in missouri. there was a kiln in reynolds mo.where locals could bring their own containers & get free charcoal. no more.