Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WKC, looking for your opinion...AKA what would you do?  (Read 2902 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
WKC, looking for your opinion...AKA what would you do?
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:49:09 PM »
I came into a CL buy, bought sight unseen, a few months ago. Bad picture and it was odd. Well it was a Wood Dale. Not perfect by know means. It has seen some years, but only a few years older the I. The wheels, well, fine on the outside, rusted badly on the outside... :( So I contemplated repair, but reached out and a WKC member, he helped me out.(SJ Shark) So tonight I am wondering, after a 15 minute bath and a chemical, should I just install these as is? I am about nostalgia, and not always so concerned about perfection. So would you paint or install as is? Remember, this is not a perfect grill. I only wish they made the triangles with this chrome today. Thanks in advance.

Greg

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: WKC, looking for your opinion...AKA what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:49:30 PM »
Me bad...Had to delete, tried to modify and hit quote by accident... :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:53:00 PM by glrasmussen »

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:52:48 PM »
I'd use them as is. Makes it look like the grill has served well, done what it was designed to do.
If the grill was perfect I may think differently.
A Weber that shows some battle scars has tales to tell.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
I'd use them as is. Makes it look like the grill has served well, done what it was designed to do.
If the grill was perfect I may think differently.
A Weber that shows some battle scars has tales to tell.

Thanks Harbor, that is where I'm at. I like to leave some like they were purchased. This is a classic and may have stories to appear... Since the owner was only about the sale... :-\

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
Ditto. They aren't bad looking as is, and will never look "new" anyway. Go for a balanced look, otherwise as soon as you make the wheels look perfect, some other part will stand out and you'll be chasing it around forever.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 06:59:19 PM »
I say use them as is. You could spray them with a UV clear coat to prevent any further rust. I've done that with a pair. I don't know what others have done. Got a photo of your Wood Dale?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 07:05:47 PM »
 I agree w/ HarborMaster & Marty & Mr. Redhead, also........they look decent & will kinda be like "period correct" to look older, along with the rest of the grill.....

Only thing that makes me think otherwise is getting something on it to make sure the rust cycle doesn't start up all over again on these......these aren't the original ones, right?
IIRC those were the ones that were coming undone on the inside & we were trying to figger out how to reconstruct them?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:20:21 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
WKC, looking for your opinion...AKA what would you do?
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:08:59 PM »
Use them as is, they will fit right in on an aged grill.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »
Thanks, Marty, Craig, Buckie and CS. That is what I'm thinking after the clean, as the grill itself is not perfect. Why not! I cleaned and just hit the with spray olive oil. It is what I hit the grates with on some cooks. I know, not very good with high temps.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 07:54:52 PM »
I agree with what everyone else had to say. It will have that 'balanced' look. :)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »
My views are pretty clear and consistent on these matters.  Install as is .... And cook on it.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 08:55:59 PM »
I agree w/ HarborMaster & Marty & Mr. Redhead, also........they look decent & will kinda be like "period correct" to look older, along with the rest of the grill.....

Only thing that makes me think otherwise is getting something on it to make sure the rust cycle doesn't start up all over again on these......these aren't the original ones, right?
IIRC those were the ones that were coming undone on the inside & we were trying to figger out how to reconstruct them?

Good catch Buckie, I was going to reconstruct and still will try. I'm know McGyver like some. I have the material to do so...Time will tell...

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »
there is always one good and one shit wheel on a kettle :'(
however in this case they both look sensational for their age  8)
id leave unless i knew i could do it properly
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 05:54:28 AM »
My views are pretty clear and consistent on these matters.  Install as is .... And cook on it.
And send pics
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 06:55:42 AM »
And send pics

This weekend. :)