Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Salton Sea Chestnut  (Read 20284 times)

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
Re: Salton Sea Chestnut
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2023, 09:41:23 PM »
I received a lot of helpful information from Matt on his last trip to the area.  From San Diego I jumped in the rental jeep and headed out to try my luck on this elusive kettle.  A couple hours latter I pulled into Bombay beach and with a few minutes I found the location and saw the lid.  I walked around the area hoping to see the owner but had no luck.  I spent the next 20ish minutes driving around the area, basically burning daylight hoping to spot the owner on one of my drives past the property.  I finally decided to visit the small market and had a nice conversation with the owner.  She told me that the owner actually lives on a different lot and that he may or may not be at home...  cue more walking and driving past the owner's home without seeing anyone.  Now it's starting to get late and with a 2 hour drive to my final destination it was about time to pack up.  I drove back to the market hoping to get my number to the kettle owner but she (market owner) gave me some more information.  It turns out the owner's mom lives down the next street and that he might be at his mom's place.  A neighbor confirmed that I was at the right place and told me to either honk or call out, just DON'T go on the property.  I honked, no answer... I called her name, no answer, I called her son's name and was told he wasn't there.  I called out one more time and got nothing.  I took the hint and climbed back in the jeep to call it a day.  I decided to drive by one more time and saw that the gate was open and the owner was walking out!  I spoke with him about the kettle and we walked over and he gave it to me.  I asked about the bowl but he didn't have any idea where it was (he said it was probably long gone).   I didn't have any issues with any of the people I saw, they were all very friendly and helpful.   The lid will get a good cleaning and I finally know what I'm going to do with the wooddale bowl that I have (the bowl is missing a handle so it will make a good partner for the lid.  Hoping to get the Salmon Sea Bombay Beach Chestnut cooking this Summer.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2023, 09:46:22 PM »
Here are the pics, not too bad considering the salt content not too far away.  I’m hoping Jeff can get the bowl close to the original using images from the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2023, 06:21:20 AM »
Very cool. Congrats.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2023, 10:33:53 AM »
Very cool Sidney!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2023, 05:25:31 PM »
Neat story…. You are a brave man!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2023, 06:22:43 PM »
That’s an amazing kettle story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SixZeroFour

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2023, 12:22:28 AM »
Congrats Sidney! Such a great history behind this kettle so super glad to see it saved after all these years. Can’t wait to see the results of your restoration project.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2023, 05:47:04 AM »
That is an amazing kettle story!  Congrats, Sidney and to everyone involved! 

I really loved Cellar2ful’s reconnaissance post including redirecting a NSA drone! 

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2023, 08:23:42 AM »
Clean up has started…

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2024, 06:08:45 AM »
This one of the coolest stories I follow since years

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2024, 12:53:27 PM »
Slab city is a place the county sheriff does not go,
I think I would pass, I went there once in the late 90s and it was way sketchy then, I can almost image it is worse now.
if you go, bring a case or 2 of beer, if any thing throwing those out the window can by can will slow them down.
Iam amazed you made it out of there
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2024, 09:41:19 PM »
Maybe I got lucky, maybe since it was midweek and in the afternoon I got lucky.  I didn't't have any trouble with anyone I came into contact with (they were are friendly and very helpful).

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2024, 09:43:08 PM »
All boxed up to begin the restoration