Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Gourmet 22" Grill - Plated Steel vs New Stainless Steel Option  (Read 3659 times)

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
Hi everyone.  I'm new to this group, but I certainly have spent time in the past reading some informative posts.  There are tons of knowledgeable people here!   

I am considering buying a build your own 22" Master Touch kettle. I was not aware Weber made a stainless steel grate for this kettle until I saw it on the website y-day.  It looks pretty expensive at a $70 surcharge.  What are your thoughts on the value of this SS grate relative to the plated steel version that standardly comes with it?  I see they both have the center pop-out.  Thanks for your time.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber Gourmet 22" Grill - Plated Steel vs New Stainless Steel Option
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 10:39:01 AM »
Stainless all the way
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 10:42:52 AM »
Hello and welcome to the site,

The quality of the SS Weber grate is very nice but the upcharge is a bit frustrating IMO considering the $70 is above and beyond the cost of the standard grate. There are also other quality stainless steel grate options out there (like the hunsaker etc) but many of the alternate choices do not include the circular center cutout (GBS system) made to accomodate Weber accessories like the wok, dutch oven, griddles etc.

If you currently have GBS components that will drop in then its probably worth it as the grate will also last significantly longer than the plated version... if you dont already have the GBS accessories, or plan to get some, then just stick with a quality SS  hinged grate.

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
I would probably opt for the stainless myself. When I get the orange or gray that’s what I’ll go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 11:31:57 AM »
What 604 said. Though, for what I paid for SS grates from RCPlaneBuyer (Genesis gasser) and Killa Grilla (kettle and WSM) pre-pandemic, $70 doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I'll also add that the flip up grates are unnecessary for 90% of my grilling, same with my GBS accessories. So if I was just starting out, I'd stick with the standard plated GBS grate and upgrade later as I discovered how I used it.

I hope some one will step into the market for kettle grates now that Mark Baron of Killa Grilla has retired. I missed out on getting a 17" charcoal grate.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
I’ve had an SNS grills easy spin since 2018.   It’s 304 ss.  Stainless is the only way to go.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
I also have the SNS 22" easy spin with the single door. Had it 5 years or so and would not hesitate to buy one again. Buy once cry once.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 05:59:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Has anyone actually purchased the upgraded Weber stainless steel 22" grate for the Master Touch?  Wonder how the thickness / quality is compared to the one sold by Adrenaline BBQ for use with the Slow and Sear?

tgeilenfeldt

• Happy Cooker
Just got a Spring Green w/ the stainless upgrade and I was pleasantly surprised that it appears it’s the same heavy gauge as the plated version! I have a couple of SnS grates that are super nice as well but the SnS has a much smaller gauge material.

LuvtoGrill1974

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 07:20:41 PM »
tgeilenfeldt, that's great to hear.   I wasn't sure if it would be that heavy.  Thanks for the response.

Jburns

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 06:42:41 AM »
I recommend going with the Stainless Steel GBS grate option, if you're willing to do so. You'll get a longer lasting cooking grate, plus it comes with a 5 year warranty over the 2 year on the standard Plated Steel GBS grate. Bringing a 22" Weber SS GBS cooking grate option to the US consumer was one of my key goals when working on launching the Build Your Own Master-Touch program. #IworkforWeber

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
@Jburns any plans for the SS GBS to be available on its own?  If so, when / price?  Thanks!

Jburns

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2023, 08:01:41 AM »
@Chesapeake Weber - Right now, you can get the SS GBS grate outside of the program by calling US Consumer Care at 1-800-446-1071. You need to ask for part # 65057, $82.04. That's currently the only way to get it outside of the BYOMT program on Weber.com US.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 08:03:32 AM by Jburns »

Zulu Kono

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 09:20:53 AM »
For $80 you can buy an SnS EasySpin, then have both.