Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP bowl replacement  (Read 33471 times)

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
SSP bowl replacement
« on: June 16, 2023, 07:06:32 AM »
For my SSP refurb, I was considering dropping in a Spring Green MT I might be able to get my hands on using the unknown bbq brackets.
With the one stainless panel coming right up to bowl the way it does in a SSP, would I even have to remove the bowl handle of a replacement bowl? It looks like it sits low enough, and the panel would go over it anyway.

"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: SSP bowl replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 07:36:33 AM »
I believe it is low enough to not have to cut
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

KirtonAlan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 02:02:00 AM »
I did a bowl replacement last year and I was obliged to cut the handle off.
Another thing I did was to mount the unknown BBQ brackets upside down thus raising the bowl up a tad giving me plenty of options on siting the silicone probe grommet.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 05:45:26 AM »
You won't need to remove it. I had a very early ssp that still had the handle on it. They started removing them later on.

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 03:13:05 PM »
You won't need to remove it. I had a very early ssp that still had the handle on it. They started removing them later on.

The original bowl for this one had a handle on it too. But It was like a quarter of the way down the bowl and actually angled down to clear.
"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 08:36:47 PM »
If you can find a Crate and Barrel Green Performer bowl and lid, you would avoid all cutting and have a slot already notched out for the burner tube.  It is very similar in color to the spring green…

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 01:12:11 PM »
I had to remove the bowl handle of an “N” red Master-Touch for it to fit in an SSP frame. Not sure if it was just that bowl handle but the black bowl I was replacing them with all had handles on them and the mounting brackets were installed properly

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

mattstaub

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 03:17:33 PM »
My original black SSP bowl is rotten at the bottom so this is all useful info for me

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 07:27:36 AM »
My original black SSP bowl is rotten at the bottom so this is all useful info for me

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
@mattstaub do you need a bowl? I think I have a spare

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

WeberGuy2020

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2023, 05:12:38 AM »
I did a bowl replacement last year and I was obliged to cut the handle off.
Another thing I did was to mount the unknown BBQ brackets upside down thus raising the bowl up a tad giving me plenty of options on siting the silicone probe grommet.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hi, I am new here and looking forward to restore my Gen 1 Performer (SS) which I bought sometime in 1996/7.  The original bowl has 2 brackets (mounting holes are 5" apart).  I plan to get a Weber Master Touch bowl to replace it but this model doen't have any mounting brackets - just 2 handles.  How was your new bowl mounted onto the SS frame?  What are these 'unknown BBQ brackets' mentioned here?  If I just use the existing handle as the mouting bracket, would that work?  Thanks in advance for all the advices. 

WeberGuy2020

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 06:14:11 AM »
I think I just found the answer to my question.  I found these 'unknown brackets':

https://unknownbbq.com/kettle-brackets/

So my next question is: Does the MT bowl need to have new holes drilled to fit these brackets?   (i.e. if the existing holes for the handles can accommodate these brackets without drilling?)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 06:22:09 AM by WeberGuy2020 »

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2023, 07:58:16 AM »
I think I just found the answer to my question.  I found these 'unknown brackets':

https://unknownbbq.com/kettle-brackets/

So my next question is: Does the MT bowl need to have new holes drilled to fit these brackets?   (i.e. if the existing holes for the handles can accommodate these brackets without drilling?)

You will need to drill.  Check youtube, and you'll see a few videos where others have done this.  You'll likely have to hack off the handle of the MT bowl, but that's to accommodate the table top.

WeberGuy2020

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2023, 01:15:56 PM »
Sounds good.. Thank You!

WeberGuy2020

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2023, 08:23:06 AM »
One more question, did you brush on some sort of anti-rust material on the inner edge of the drilled holes?  I worry that the exposed metal may have rust in the future.

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2023, 11:49:56 AM »
you can. just dab on some rustoleum high heat for grills