Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 70's Kettle clean (18")  (Read 2537 times)

Mark.Lucas

• Happy Cooker
70's Kettle clean (18")
« on: May 11, 2023, 10:09:44 PM »
Hi all!
Looking to get some tips/advice on a kettle clean-up, I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up this 18"kettle.
I believe it to be 1973 or 1974, based on the age guide (top vent, wheels, small vent tabs), is there any way to narrow this down with certainty?
Also, I've cleaned up some "newer" kettles before ('83, '90, '95), but nothing of this vintage yet, anything specific I need to take care for/be careful with? (such as can I bend the vent tabs back safely?).
Is it possible to remove the wood handle and attach it back?
Is the small triangle opening in the bottom vents design or a result of wear and tear?
All input is much appreciated and I will be sure to post pictures of the revival!

From a first inspection, I am missing the ash pan and the leg protector, any tips on how to replace these/source of spares?
I saw there was a member selling reproduction ash pans, however shipping overseas is a bit steep, so tips from the Euro side of the Atlantic are also very welcome! :)

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 01:23:46 AM by Mark.Lucas »

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
Re: 70's Kettle clean (18")
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 03:15:47 AM »
The notches in the bottom vent holes are to catch a small internal tab on each vent wheel.  You may find they are still there when you rotate the vents (might be buried in ash residue). The small internal tabs and outer tabs can be safely bent back.  Just hold the main vent body in position against the bowl so you don’t bend it out of position in the process.

No easy way to remove rivets and reattach handle.  Best is to tape around handle and lid to do your restoration and protect the lid porcelain.

Good luck!  Nice looking grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 04:59:58 AM »
The notches in the bottom vent holes are to catch a small internal tab on each vent wheel.  You may find they are still there when you rotate the vents (might be buried in ash residue). The small internal tabs and outer tabs can be safely bent back.  Just hold the main vent body in position against the bowl so you don’t bend it out of position in the process.

No easy way to remove rivets and reattach handle.  Best is to tape around handle and lid to do your restoration and protect the lid porcelain.

Good luck!  Nice looking grill.

Handle restoration.   This is sanded and prepped for stain and subsequent varnish.  I would not recommend removing the riveted handle unless it is damaged so badly. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old1812

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 05:28:13 PM »
You’ll also need a new ash catcher. Here’s the thread I started last week about getting a repro:

Repro old ash catchers https://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=50855

Mark.Lucas

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 01:24:50 AM »
Update - work in progress still, however I'm struggling to get any movement on the bottom vents, rivets seems to be rusted completely.
Are there any ways of getting these loose other than drilling through (not my preference)?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 07:36:34 AM »
Update - work in progress still, however I'm struggling to get any movement on the bottom vents, rivets seems to be rusted completely.
Are there any ways of getting these loose other than drilling through (not my preference)?

Best method I have found is using PB Blaster.  Spray both sides of the rivet and vent, making sure you get under the vent.  Let it sit over night and try tapping the vent tab lightly with a small hammer. Alternate the tapping so your attempting to move the vent different directions.  If it doesn't move after several taps, reapply more PB Blaster and let it sit another day or two.  Then repeat the tapping with the hammer.  PB Blaster is a Catalyst and works better than any other penetrating oil such as WD 40. 

Here is a link to buy PB Blaster at Home Depot. They come in 4 oz, 11 oz and 18 oz sizes. Hopefully you can find PB Blaster in the Netherlands. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-11-oz-PB-Penetrating-Oil-16-PB-DS/310486628

The leg cap is just a 1" plastic leg cap.  Check your local hardware store for them.  For reference, below is a link to them at Ace Hardware that has a photo of the item:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/furniture/protective-furniture-pads/56920
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 07:46:09 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Mark.Lucas

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 07:52:29 AM »
Took me a while to get round to finishing, however pretty happy with the end result!

Thanks all for the great tips and pointers!
Didn't manage to get PB Blaster, but the soak method worked with WD40 Rostlöser (tip for Europeans) and I managed to get the vents moving properly again!
There is a big slant on the front leg, planning to buy a slightly larger cap to try and offset a bit of the slant.
Now just to try and source an old ash catcher on this side of the Atlantic... :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 07:54:48 AM by Mark.Lucas »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 10:09:34 AM »
Looking grate!!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 10:19:43 AM »
Very nice kettle, awesome restore!

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 10:32:11 AM »
Hey @Mark.Lucas shoot me a PM my I can help you. I am from the European side

Gringo