Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: knife sharpening (stones)  (Read 6911 times)

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
knife sharpening (stones)
« on: July 15, 2023, 12:55:04 PM »
Hard / Fine Arkansas stone.
question:
use it dry.
wet with water
oil it
just spit on it like "Gramps".
Whats your experience?
I was given one (shown) & have heard several different (& hotly contested) views. ::)

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
Re: knife sharpening (stones)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 07:47:28 PM »
I have a sharpening stone from my grandfather and a newer “butterfly knife” style one I got from LL Bean a few years ago with a smooth and finer side.  With all of my cutlery, I wet the stone and blade with water, hone the blade, rinse, and dry.  I have another from my grandfather I use for garden tools, hatchets, and such that I just use dry cuz it doesn’t matter too much.  When you hone/sharpen there is some metal “debris” from the knife, stone, or both.  Water helps lubricate and rinse away.  Ultimately, a sharp knife is a safer one to use, so that’s the most important part.  (Even the base of an unglazed ceramic coffee mug can work wonders!)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
Re: knife sharpening (stones)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 03:47:11 AM »
I have a sharpening stone from my grandfather and a newer “butterfly knife” style one I got from LL Bean a few years ago with a smooth and finer side.  With all of my cutlery, I wet the stone and blade with water, hone the blade, rinse, and dry.  I have another from my grandfather I use for garden tools, hatchets, and such that I just use dry cuz it doesn’t matter too much.  When you hone/sharpen there is some metal “debris” from the knife, stone, or both.  Water helps lubricate and rinse away.  Ultimately, a sharp knife is a safer one to use, so that’s the most important part.  (Even the base of an unglazed ceramic coffee mug can work wonders!)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
X2 on using the bottom of a ceramic mug. That's what I us when the knives start to lose their edge and gets them razor sharp quickly

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app