Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What's the largest piece of meat an 18.5" will cook, indirect?  (Read 1278 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I have my eye on a pretty 18.5" that would be picked up, potentially, on the way to my inlaws in another state, who only have old gas junk and don't BBQ anything. The thing is, it would probably only get used when I'm there and that automatically means cooking for 4-6 people instead of for 2.

I know you can cook a whole meal on an 18-incher but I'm liking the idea more and more of indirect cooks for meat, and there's that lid which is flatter and so on.

Maybe I'll just pack up my black '02 22-incher and donate that to them instead, since I have my Performer ready to use soon-ish.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: What's the largest piece of meat an 18.5" will cook, indirect?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:09:45 PM »

Here's a 9# Boston Meat Hunk ( I think that's what they call 'em nowdays)

Took a little extra fiddlin', but not bad.....one thing I probably wouldn't try to cram on one is too many ribs, but beef roasts or butts, maybe 8,9,10#
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »
Oh -- nice! That's plenty. And you just snaked it around and turned the grill every so often? Did you have enough room for a drip pan? (Not that it's a priority.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:22:24 PM »
 I didn't even turn this, if I recall.....was doing six shoulders all at once so noodling too much was not a thing I wanted to figger into the equation.....the other 18.5" ones I've done I'd move back & forth a small bit to stay off the coals.......

I think a half-size hotel pan might be a bit too big to allow for charcoal & airflow, maybe one of those smaller square cake pans?

Fill it up with beans & peppers & onions & let 'er (r)drip
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:30:35 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"