Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Considering a Kamado  (Read 2071 times)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Considering a Kamado
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 01:15:48 PM »
I don't feel it is that much.
The double walls work really well.
The main things that I would change if I  could would be eliminating the gas start and the gbs style grate. I  wired in my  center section in so it doesn't fall out. I have the griddle insert and sear grate but just lay them on top of the grate.
Thanks Karl, that’s good to know.
Is it’s performance diminished in the winter months?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 01:35:54 PM »
I don't feel it is that much.
The double walls work really well.
The main things that I would change if I  could would be eliminating the gas start and the gbs style grate. I  wired in my  center section in so it doesn't fall out. I have the griddle insert and sear grate but just lay them on top of the grate.
Thanks Karl, that’s good to know.
Is it’s performance diminished in the winter months?

Why eliminate the gas start? Does it leak when smoking or is it something else? I agree about the GBS grate, I have it on my performer but only use it with the Vortex, to keep from warping the grate. Other than that, I prefer a standard 22 grate.
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 03:57:11 PM »
The gas start is only useful when the grate is in the lower position. Like when smoking. But then it is useless also because I am setting up my charcoal, wood blocks and lighting a small chimney on something else. It is useless in the upper position when regular direct grilling because it is too far away to light coals. If I  want gas assist I'll use my performer to light my chimney. As far as warping the cooking grates when using the vortex I have not had an issue vortexing straight through the grate on my 26 or on the 22 with the stainless slow and sear grate. No warpage. I got rid of the rusty 22" gbs grate.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
Considering a Kamado
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 06:36:52 PM »
Are you set on ceramic? I would 100% put my Summit Charcoal up against any ceramic on the market, it is an AMAZING cooker. It was spendy at 1500 but it’s the best thing I’ve cooked on.

I cannot say enough good things about it. And the current Kamado is the same bowl and lid as my Summit, with different cart and no propane ignition (unless you get the side table cart). Saves 400 from the Summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I am not sure I want ceramic and I like the idea of the relatively lightweight Steel Kamado so I can move it easily. I see some real advantages, including cleanup with the one-touch system, no limitations of ceramic, ie- weight, risk of cracking, longer initial startup time.
How does it perform in winter weather compared to a regular kettle?
How well does it seal for smoking?

One of the biggest reasons I wanted to try the Summit was for winter cooks. I live in Wyoming and cook outside all year long; when it’s 5-10 out and the wind is pounding at 50mph (common here) it not only chills me to the bone, but just sucks any heat out of a standard kettle.

With a kettle, I’m outside more checking and adjusting and trying to maintain temp, where with the Summit it’s really a set-it-and-almost-forget-it deal. Kettle I battle temps for the entire cook, and have on occasion lost the coals and have to start over. Summit just pumps out the entirety of the cook. I’ll typically have to adjust more than a less windy day, but much less than a kettle. And never lost my heat.

With the Summit, I keep the charcoal grate in the lower position 99.9% of the time. I use snake method maybe 50% but lately have been just filling the charcoal....basin of you will, lighting with gas, adding wood and putting a water pan on top of the heat diffuser and letting it go. I’ve had similar experience as above, and not even used half the charcoal in a 15hr cook.

I use almost solely lump with the Summit. It just seems like a match made combo. The Summit running Jealous Devil lump has never failed me. With my kettles I’ll jump around from lump and briquettes, although lump is more common.

The Summit is also the best searing method I have. I’ll toss on some steaks and let them get close gradually, then lift the lid of the Summit. I don’t know if it retains heat better which flames the charcoal quicker or better, but in less than a minute of being open I have lovely flames tickling the meat. It’s just.....hard to explain.

I do have a temp controller and use it on occasion, again maybe 50% of extended cooks. Just fun to see how it does with and without.

You have to adjust your vents almost opposite of a kettle. Mine is choked WAY down on the top vent, maybe a pencils width or a little less. And the bottom vents closed down a good amount as well. Anything else in my experience runs way too hot.

Sorry for the novel. Just an extremely happy customer. I wouldn’t mind adding a BGE or so in the future to compare and experience, but the Summit would absolutely 100% be the last grill I ever got rid of.

Oh. And mine leaks a little around the lid but I put almost zero thought or concern in small leaks. Kind of adds to the ambiance, when I smoke on it or anything really, it’s an experience. I make it an event.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:38:29 PM by MoparProud »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 06:15:19 AM »
https://youtu.be/l88zDqQdLKU

Summit kamado burn test by baby back maniac.  He got 50 hours with regular kbb.

https://youtu.be/O-4lssuFby8

Smoking dad bbq got 56 hours on a kJ big Joe.   

At that amount of time, I’d say they’re anecdotally the same efficiency.  Neither is a scientific test, of course. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 07:46:07 AM »
https://youtu.be/l88zDqQdLKU

Summit kamado burn test by baby back maniac.  He got 50 hours with regular kbb.

https://youtu.be/O-4lssuFby8

Smoking dad bbq got 56 hours on a kJ big Joe.   

At that amount of time, I’d say they’re anecdotally the same efficiency.  Neither is a scientific test, of course. 

Ok that puts the efficiency issue to bed. Now, about winter performance, which is two parts. First, how much are they affected by the cold, which Mopar states the Weber is well insulated and not really affected. Second, how much do winter cooks contribute to the ceramic cracking?

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 07:56:05 AM »
One thing I’ve heard in reviews is that the ceramic kamado temperature should not exceed 500F or it can crack. This gives me pause, as I was looking forward to using it for both low and slow smoking as well as high heat searing.
Maybe the ceramic doesn’t get to that temp, but it does at the grates when direct cooking?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 09:05:27 AM by stillgriller »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Considering a Kamado
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 09:20:25 AM »
One thing I’ve heard in reviews is that the ceramic kamado temperature should not exceed 500F or it can crack. This gives me pause, as I was looking forward to using it for both low and slow smoking as well as high heat searing.
Maybe the ceramic doesn’t get to that temp, but it does at the grates when direct cooking?
While I don’t own a ceramic, I follow the BGE and kJ Facebook groups.  These guys routinely do very high heat cooks with no issues.   The internal firebox is designed to protect the outer ceramic shell.   It is not, however, uncommon for the internal firebox to crack.  The newest kJ multi piece designs for fireboxes seems to minimize this.  The BGE firebox design is one piece and may be more prone to cracking.  Obviously, the beauty of the Weber is there is no firebox to crack. 

The baby back maniac YouTube channel has several good videos looking the merits of the summit over ceramic, and he owns both. 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 09:34:32 AM by michaelmilitello »

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2022, 06:22:28 PM »
Costco has the Joe Jr for $329. I’m thinking about it.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2022, 03:21:17 PM »
I’m picking up a Kamado Joe Classic 1 on Sunday to play with.  Will be selling a few kettles to pay for it.  Looking for a little more fuel mileage for long cooks.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

1MoreFord

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2022, 09:49:20 PM »
I'd do a Weber Summit or a Bubba Keg or whatever it's latest name is.  I've got an Akorn and I'd do another one before a Humpty Dumpty ceramic.
Joe

Falcon MK V gas grill, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG,  Weber 22" OTG

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2022, 03:46:14 AM »
I’m picking up a Kamado Joe Classic 1 on Sunday to play with.  Will be selling a few kettles to pay for it.  Looking for a little more fuel mileage for long cooks.

Cool!  Smoking Dad Bbq is the best kJ YouTube channel. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2022, 03:58:06 AM »

Cool!  Smoking Dad Bbq is the best kJ YouTube channel. 

Thanks!  I’ll check him out.  BTW, looking forward to seeing your first Summit Kamado cook.

smokin_3-5x

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2022, 03:26:44 PM »
I'm glad to see some love for the KJ. I ditched gas a while back when I got a Cabelas Pellet grill for free. I enjoyed learning slower cooks but wasn't happy with the smoke profile, regardless of pellet brand/style so I ditched that too.

This led me to smokindadbbq on youtube. He's a knowledgeable guy and certainly sold me on kamados, I own 2 now. Many great cooks on them, winter performance is outstanding and I have ran well past 700* in freezing temps (just don't get up to temp too fast and let the ceramic heat soak).

I thought I had nailed down pork butts with the Kamado... until my brother made the best pulled pork I've ever eaten on his weber 22. Maybe it was dumb luck on his part but I picked up a 22 and feel the temperature changes/leaky airflow design is actually a benefit to great tasting food. My theory is the kettle mimics the concept of an offset with fluctuating temps/not perfect combustion at all times.

The Joe JR is an extremely useful size, burgers, thighs, spatchcock chicken, 8lb pork shoulders/hams. I probably use it the most for our family of 4.

I can flip a coin on most cooks and be happy which unit I want to play with. YMMV

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2022, 05:49:05 PM »
Thanks, I’m on the fence between the Weber Summit charcoal and a KJ, so I’m going to wait and see if they do the KJ roadshow this year at Costco.