Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1st mods for new kettle  (Read 1401 times)

Kevins Que

• Happy Cooker
1st mods for new kettle
« on: January 16, 2022, 07:50:47 PM »
Hello everyone. Newbie to this site. I have had a Weber kettle for several years now. I cooked on it for quite a while, then got away from it and tried new pits. I got away from it because my lid was warped and it was difficult to maintain temps. Now I am wanting to get a new master touch. My question is, what mods would you guys suggest for this new grill. I already have an igrill with 4 probes, and I am ordering a silicone probe grommet for it. I would like to use some sort of fan system to maintain temps, and would like to find a ring to make it taller and increase my total cooking space. Other than that, I don't know what else I should do. I will mainly use it for smoking ribs, butts and briskets. I have a slow-n-sear from my other kettle. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Glad to be getting back into the Weber game!

Kevin

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
Re: 1st mods for new kettle
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 09:13:03 PM »
Practice, practice, practice.

100lbs of charcoal and 50lbs of meat!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 04:54:57 AM »
I recommend trying it stock first with the slow n sear you have.  See how you like it, may not need the fancy blower system.  I’ve not seen the need for one personally.  Cajun Bandit has nice riser rings….

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 09:15:26 AM »
I'm with @bamakettles get to know it first, you may decide no mods needed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 06:39:17 PM »
Etching 1/3 markings for sweeps so you know how far you have it open. I put on a hinge kit, but it can be hard on my back to try to pull it at the correct angle to get it to close.
I have been waiting till I have money to justify buying a temp control fan system, not sure which to get. I also would like to build a heat deflector like you find in a kamado, but can't find the right material at the right price.
Get a second charcoal grate to add cross ways to the existing one so charcoal has to burn down smaller up fall through. Your slow n sear should prevent a lot of that though when you use it.
All I can think of right now though.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 09:01:05 AM »
^^^
This, but I went a little further.
The cut out "settings" are at best "Off" so I used a Dremel with a SMALL round grindstone to set the actual CLOSED,  1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & FULL positions of the blades in the inside. By making some small semi-circular scallops in the bottom edge the lever now has "click stops" where the lever drops into them, so I don't have to look under the kettle!

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 09:46:05 AM »
The newer Master Touch has pre-drilled dots on its ash catcher ring for smoke settings.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 09:59:32 AM »

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 08:09:40 AM »
I'd just use the ring from my rotisserie as a spacer?

Yes there are markers on the new master touch, but check out how well they align (or not) with the scraper blade positions!
My "detents" are actually set using them as a guide for position & a re considerably different.
These were the original magic marker set that i used to test it. sorry they're a little fuzzy.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 08:37:28 PM »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
1st mods for new kettle
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 07:14:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8U9f8Q611M
I think that grill is discontinued.  It’s not on the Weber website anymore.  Seemed overpriced to me but I liked the diffuser concept and wsm-esq charcoal ring.  I always wanted to build a set up like it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 08:35:48 PM »
@michaelmilitello   Yes, that Master Touch Premium grill is discontinued in the U.S. (Still available to the rest of the world). Those dot indicators are on every new 2019+ Master Touch grill ash catcher ring, with the newer "p,"

vent bowl.  The video is just showing what the dots are used for.

bigjeffb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 03:47:34 AM »
I think that grill is discontinued.  It’s not on the Weber website anymore.  Seemed overpriced to me but I liked the diffuser concept and wsm-esq charcoal ring.  I always wanted to build a set up like it. 

Cant even find parts for them in the US anymore either, unless you call Weber directly I suppose.  Shame, too.  If the replacement bowl for my Performer didn't already have holes for the lid bail, I was considering an unknown BBQ hinge, and then some touches from the MTP like these fellas did:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 03:50:51 AM by bigjeffb »
"I'm not a pit master, and I'm not a chef. I'm just a guy who manages not to burn food."

BigEasy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 05:44:02 AM »

Someone on another thread put up a link to Heat Beacon designs for a tool holder so I clicked on it. Then of course started looking at other stuff and found they sell a diffuser plate set up. It might be worth looking at instead of the hassle of building your own

https://www.heatbeacondesigns.com/shop-products/p/deflector-plate-and-charcoal-ring

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 09:46:18 AM »

Someone on another thread put up a link to Heat Beacon designs for a tool holder so I clicked on it. Then of course started looking at other stuff and found they sell a diffuser plate set up. It might be worth looking at instead of the hassle of building your own

https://www.heatbeacondesigns.com/shop-products/p/deflector-plate-and-charcoal-ring

The diffuser plate and charcoal ring from them work really well. It’s a high quality product.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club