Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this a legit thermometer test?  (Read 1053 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Is this a legit thermometer test?
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
This is a $7 TruTemp oven thermometer. It's hanging on the edge of a pot of boiling water with its base flange submerged for about 15-20 minutes. Reads about 14-16 degrees under 212 F I suppose. My area is about 1000 ft. above sea level.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Is this a legit thermometer test?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:12:22 PM »
May be legit but not wise. I now have some water droplets behind the glass.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
DOH!

I bet the water will dry up real quick with the next cook.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 06:07:55 AM »
I've never seen that done to test that type of thermometer before....Those things are pretty tough and you should be fine when you use it. That type of thermometer is to me kind of like the one mounted on the lids....doesn't have to be too acurate as long as it is in the ballpark. I use mine lid thermometer as a general guide already knowing it is off by about 50 degrees from the grate level temp.....I go by the food internal temp....THAT temperature has to be as acurate as possible to get the best results. Be more concerned about a good instant read thermometer...just my opinion. :)
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!