Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Diffuser set up on 22  (Read 234 times)

DaveInLA

• Happy Cooker
Diffuser set up on 22
« on: September 23, 2021, 08:19:16 PM »
Hi guys, I have a 22 and SnS but want to use the whole cooking grate to smoke— mostly ribs but also chicken quarters and maybe even pork belly slabs. Probably nothing like a shoulder or brisket. Don’t want to buy the Master Touch Premium. I tried messing with a ceramic stone a while ago, but I got busy and that is no longer an option. In any case, these are the parts I have.

The first pic is made for grills and is intended to be used as a vortex or to shape a charcoal snake. I plan to use it as a charcoal ring. The diameter at base is about 15”. The other photos are potential diffusers. They are all 18”.

The questions I have are:
1. Will the ring allow enough air/smoke movement? The charcoal ring on the Weber MT Premium has large holes on the side, my guess is about the same overall very ventilation as this. Also, how should I orient the ring? This way or turn it upside down? I can also open the ring and shape or so that the “wings” flare outward. Would that be better?
2. Which diffuser? The stock pot lid is thick stainless steel. I’ll have to find a way to saw off the handle. Any suggestions? The other 2 are aluminum pizza pans. One is much heavier than the other. One basically feels like plastic. I’ve read mixed things on whether aluminum is ok as a diffuser.
3. Does the diffuser need holes? The one that comes with the MT Prem has no holes, but the one that comes with Summit kamado has holes. I’ve seen some people drill holes in diffusers and some don’t. Any final word on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 08:38:38 PM by DaveInLA »

DaveInLA

• Happy Cooker
Re: Diffuser set up on 22
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 08:27:11 PM »
Oops having trouble with the pictures

But here’s the Amazon link for what I want to use as the ring to hold the plate

Charcoal Ring Fits Weber Kettle Grills 22", 18", 14" Grill Accessories, Stainless Steel Indirect and Direct for Briquette Lump Snake and Vortex Style Accessory Cooking Great Summertime Gift https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082H62XB3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_48TVXA761PRXDH2RBPRC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 05:54:58 AM »
Not sure if this helps or not, but may illustrate a working model for you.  There was a guy that made these a while back using expanded metal and a pizza stone or steel disk.  I bought one from him for the smokey joe and the jumbo joe - wish now that I would have gotten the setup for a 22" kettle.  His health declined and he stopped making them.  Anyway, here are some pics of the setup that may help.....His videos are still on youtube if you want to see it in action.  Here's a link to one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v28Ch4yLpc

Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 06:11:36 AM by bamakettles »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 06:16:23 AM »
And here is the setup in my Jumbo Joe.....only real difference is I don't have the steel disk, it's setup with a pizza stone I had.  Admittedly, I've never cooked with either of these setups, but the theory is the same as the Master Touch Premium.  I may try a small pork butt this fall.....

DaveInLA

• Happy Cooker
Diffuser set up on 22
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 10:27:46 AM »
Good looking setups! I didn’t know this could be done on the smaller models! But I guess I’d I have a smaller cook, I can use the SnS.
Any thoughts on the perforations in the plate?
You’re comfortable with aluminum?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
Good looking setups! I didn’t know this could be done on the smaller models! But I guess I’d I have a smaller cook, I can use the SnS.
Any thoughts on the perforations in the plate?
You’re comfortable with aluminum?

Not really sure what you're referring to about perforations....

I'm ok with using aluminum drip pans for these types of setups - for low and slow.  I don't think an aluminum vortex would be a great idea.