Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle or Kamado?  (Read 859 times)

AD18

• Happy Cooker
Re: Kettle or Kamado?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 11:21:29 AM »
LOL, I was hoping the uninstall wouldn't be too bad, but rust finished me off.  Put a weeeeee bit to much muscle on the lower nut and the whole bottom of the kettle started bending.  Lesson learned..............

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 06:06:34 PM »

After much consideration, I’ve decided it would be better to get back into low & slow and smoking (the reason I stopped is because my single walled vertical smoker is not convenient and doesn’t do well in Winter when I have more time to cook), so I bit the bullet and am expecting my new Summit S6 to arrive before the weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Congrats guy. I’ve got the Summit Charcoal which is the previous version of the S6, and if I had to keep just one grill, the Summit would be it.

It does everything a kettle does, better. Yes, it’s heavier and bulkier, but it holds temps like a champ, even in frigid windy Wyoming winters. Good, flavor wise isn’t any different, nor should it be, but the entire cook is absolutely effortless. I’ve got a temp controller for shoots and giggles, and the Summit has a port for it.

Want to do some quick steaks? I’ve never had anything produce a better sear than the Summit, ever. It has to be something with the design, maybe it retains heat better which allows flames to kick up quicker? I toss them on and typically finish with the sear....it’s as simple as lifting the lid. The flames kick up within about 30 seconds and produce a beautiful sear that...oh man I’m getting hungry thinking about it. I’ve played with it with doing a sear mid-cook and once seated, close the lid and the flames are out and she settles right back in.

Price sucked. Yes. I guess I got lucky and took my gf into my dealer and drooled enough, she bought it for me for my birthday!

You will love it. I can’t imagine not having it. Enjoy!

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2021, 06:11:37 PM »

The other thing is a ceramic is a long term investment.  Not much to wear out over time other than the sealing gaskets.  And even those last if you don't go nuclear temp wise.  That is easily changed, at least on the Egg.  Best of luck on your new ceramic, take your time to learn how it works, and enjoy the ride.

Except the ceramic WILL crack and need replaced. Maintenance doesn’t seem overly easy either. They’re cool looking and folks seem to love them, I think I get close enough results out of the double walled steel that will never crack.

It was a tough decision but happy with the Summit. Maybe in the future I’ll add an egg. Local dealer had one come in that a guy ordered, think it was 30” or so? Thing was an animal and kinda expensive haha

WaWaZat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2021, 07:45:33 PM »

After much consideration, I’ve decided it would be better to get back into low & slow and smoking (the reason I stopped is because my single walled vertical smoker is not convenient and doesn’t do well in Winter when I have more time to cook), so I bit the bullet and am expecting my new Summit S6 to arrive before the weekend!

Want to do some quick steaks? I’ve never had anything produce a better sear than the Summit, ever. It has to be something with the design, maybe it retains heat better which allows flames to kick up quicker? I toss them on and typically finish with the sear....it’s as simple as lifting the lid. The flames kick up within about 30 seconds and produce a beautiful sear that...oh man I’m getting hungry thinking about it. I’ve played with it with doing a sear mid-cook and once seated, close the lid and the flames are out and she settles right back in.

Price sucked. Yes. I guess I got lucky and took my gf into my dealer and drooled enough, she bought it for me for my birthday!

You will love it. I can’t imagine not having it. Enjoy!

When you quick cook and sear steaks, is your flame set up on the lower or upper level?

Had you found the need to change the level during a cook?

She just wanted you to cook for her! :)

Summit Kamado S6 Charcoal Grill Center

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 04:32:35 AM »

When you quick cook and sear steaks, is your flame set up on the lower or upper level?

[/quote]

I typically leave the grate in the lower position, whether smoking or grilling. It tends to get hotter than I prefer with the grate up high.

I’ve never seen a need to adjust during a cook. And it would be a pain, remove food, remove grate, remove fuel, lift charcoal grate, add fuel, grate, food. No thanks.

Another thing someone touched on earlier was the propane assist ignition. Now this is a feature I didn’t want, saw no use for it honestly. But that was the only way it came. So I had the Summit probably a year, year and a half before I tried it; man I love that! Now I’m hooked.

I’m trying to recall the last time I adjusted the grate to the high position, and I can’t say I have touched it in over a year, it just stays low.

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2021, 04:33:11 AM »
Wow, I KNEW I would butcher that quote!🤣

AD18

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2021, 04:59:30 AM »
"Except the ceramic WILL crack and need replaced. Maintenance doesn’t seem overly easy either. They’re cool looking and folks seem to love them, I think I get close enough results out of the double walled steel that will never crack."

Really????  I've never heard of a BGE, Kamado Joe, or Primo cracking these days.  Maybe some of the real old Eggs did, but they changed to a different ceramic quite a while ago and no more issues.  Thus the BGE lifetime warranty.  Some of the other cheapie knock offs had a lot of issues, but that boiled down to quality control and price.  I imagine Weber uses similar quality components so I would not worry about it at all.  Not that they can't crack by the very nature of the components, but saying any top end WILL I can't agree on that.  But maybe I'm wrong and will see a failure in due time.  Not holding my breathe on it though:) 

WaWaZat

• Smokey Joe
Kettle or Kamado?
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2021, 05:57:49 AM »
I typically leave the grate in the lower position, whether smoking or grilling. It tends to get hotter than I prefer with the grate up high.

I’ve never seen a need to adjust during a cook. And it would be a pain, remove food, remove grate, remove fuel, lift charcoal grate, add fuel, grate, food. No thanks.

Another thing someone touched on earlier was the propane assist ignition. Now this is a feature I didn’t want, saw no use for it honestly. But that was the only way it came. So I had the Summit probably a year, year and a half before I tried it; man I love that! Now I’m hooked.

I’m trying to recall the last time I adjusted the grate to the high position, and I can’t say I have touched it in over a year, it just stays low.

Wow…. even for searing! Wonder why the Weber R&D team put in an upper charcoal rack option?…

WaWaZat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2021, 06:58:47 AM »

[/quote]Doing this again because my text didn't come through on the WKC phone app...

Wow…. even for searing! Wonder why the Weber R&D team put in an upper charcoal rack option?…

So can you do a quick sear, where the flame hits the food, from the lower rack?

T_om

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2021, 09:03:47 AM »
I love my Kamado Joe, my Weber Gen II Performer and my PK Grills steak cooking machine.  Horses for courses. I use at least two of them every week.  Florida is great for grilling.  :)

Tom
Old Beat Up Weber Performer Deluxe Gen 2 and yeah, I'm keeping it. :)
Kamado Joe Classic II
PK Original