Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Prep for first slow’n’sear: Help please  (Read 265 times)

dpilot83

• Smokey Joe
Prep for first slow’n’sear: Help please
« on: June 24, 2021, 07:47:18 AM »
My main question is:

1. Is my meat decent looking? I’m a terrible judge. This has been in my freezer for a month or so. Vacuum sealed. Purchased from a a local family that raises and sells their own beef.

2. Is it too thin to use the slow’n’sear method? The thinner cuts are maybe 1” and the thicker cuts are maybe 1.25”

So far I have thawed it to nearly room temp (probably warmer than I should have let it get?) and then salted both sides and put it in the fridge overnight without any covering.

I’m thinking the next step is to get about 25 briquettes and get them going so the grill can run at 225 for close to an hour and get the internal temp up to....?

Then sear?

I’m a total noob. Just going off the video on the slow’n’sear YouTube channel.

In the past I have tried getting it down to room temp so that I wouldn’t end up with a raw inside and a burnt outside and then just grilled it for maybe 4 or 5 min per side. Always struggled with it maybe being too raw on the inside to be comfortable giving to the kids or ended up being overdone.

Just trying to get better.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 07:49:41 AM by dpilot83 »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Prep for first slow’n’sear: Help please
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 07:55:21 AM »
Hello and welcome.  Steaks look good to me and should be fine if vacuum sealed and frozen.  I believe in the smell test and when in doubt throw it out. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 08:14:13 AM »
For 1 1/2 thick steak or less I go direct to just below desired internal temp and let rest and serve. It has worked for way to many years to change
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 08:19:07 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, AL.... agree with above, smell test is the best.  24 hour refrigerator thaw is the safest method - freezer to fridge.  Seasoning for steaks is best IMO right before the cook.  Using the slow n sear for steaks can yield some really good results and it sounds like you're trying the "Reverse Sear" method.  Don't confuse this method with smoking - which would require low and slow temps.  For me, low and slow puts too much smoke on a steak.  225F is great for ribs and pork butt, but for steak I like higher temps.  I recommend lighting about 3/4 of a chimney of coals and pour them into the sns basket.  Put your steaks on the indirect side until target temp is reached - should be below your end result goal.  Then sear over the coals for one minute and flip for another minute.  Move to cool side and check temps.  Repeat if you're not there yet but maybe adjust to 30 seconds a side.  I pull at around 123F to 125F and rest for 15 mins to get a medium rare.  You can adjust for your desired final product.  Remember to check temps on all the steaks;  don't assume they are all cooking at the same rate.  Enjoy!

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 06:20:50 PM »

Welcome from Huntsville, AL.... agree with above, smell test is the best.  24 hour refrigerator thaw is the safest method - freezer to fridge.  Seasoning for steaks is best IMO right before the cook.  Using the slow n sear for steaks can yield some really good results and it sounds like you're trying the "Reverse Sear" method.  Don't confuse this method with smoking - which would require low and slow temps.  For me, low and slow puts too much smoke on a steak.  225F is great for ribs and pork butt, but for steak I like higher temps.  I recommend lighting about 3/4 of a chimney of coals and pour them into the sns basket.  Put your steaks on the indirect side until target temp is reached - should be below your end result goal.  Then sear over the coals for one minute and flip for another minute.  Move to cool side and check temps.  Repeat if you're not there yet but maybe adjust to 30 seconds a side.  I pull at around 123F to 125F and rest for 15 mins to get a medium rare.  You can adjust for your desired final product.  Remember to check temps on all the steaks;  don't assume they are all cooking at the same rate.  Enjoy!

Exactly what I did last night.  But I used a Vortex because I need to cut my SNS to fit in the Summit Charcoal.

Took the steak off at about 115F, dried, a little olive oil and Jack Daniels rub.  I take it off a little early to allow more time for the sear.

Add a full small chimney of fully lit lump to the Vortex and seared over that, sixty seconds per side turning twice. Sear to 125-ish. Let rest.

Normally would do this using the SNS.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

05Train

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 09:51:36 AM »
You've probably already cooked those things, but for future reference this is how I do it.

Salt the steaks lightly at least 3 hours prior to putting them on the grill.

Season the steaks with whatever you use at the 3 hour point.

Shake out the SnS basket to get rid of any ash buildup.

Put about a dozen pieces of your favorite charcoal in your chimney and light them.

Once lit, dump them into the SnS, adjust your vents, bring the temperature up to 225.

Once at temperature, add your aromatic wood (cherry is wonderful with steak) and put the steaks on the cold side of the grill.

Smoke to 118-122 internal.

Open the lid and the lower vent, stoke the fire, and get ready to sear. 

Sear each side for 2 minutes.

I use a Tip Top Temp to help keep the kettle at smoking temperature, and a BBQ Dragon to quickly stoke the fire up for searing.  I also leave the steaks in the fridge until they go on.....which means they spend more time in the smoke.
If you're having grill problems I feel bad for you son
I got ninety-nine cookers but a Traeger ain't one.