Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New-to-me 2009 gen 3 Performer—a question  (Read 165 times)

Farace

• Smokey Joe
New-to-me 2009 gen 3 Performer—a question
« on: May 18, 2021, 04:02:09 PM »
We picked up a used (of course) 2009 (DE date code) Gen 3 Performer today (though I’m a little confused; the article ). Just a quick question—the seller says they never used the gas assist. Can I just screw in a bottle of propane and try it, or is there anything I should check before trying? I figure 12 years is a long time with no gas going through the system.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 04:04:13 PM by Farace »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New-to-me 2009 gen 3 Performer—a question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 04:06:24 PM »
Just give it a try, chances it works fine

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 04:09:28 PM »
Blow the cobwebs and spider eggs out of the tube if it fails to light.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 04:35:09 PM »
Here is a video I made a couple years ago.

https://youtu.be/ZZyABaYzdTU

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Farace

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 05:51:59 PM »
Thank you all, especially for the video. Seems it would be worth blowing it out before I try to light it; if the previous owner never used the gas assist there could be most anything in the tube. I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Farace

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 11:41:33 AM »
Quick follow-up: I removed the resin table for access. Removed the retainer clip, pulled out the end and looked, and the venturi was caked over with crud. I scrubbed it off with a small wire brush, confirmed the orifice was clear, and blew out the tube with compressed air. Put it all back together, installed an LP bottle (the protective yellow cap was still in place on the fitting, confirming the previous owner had never used it), and it lit off on the first push of the igniter. I’m very happy.

Unrelated, but thought I’d mention it: I was hoping to restore the black color of the plastic lid handle, and I thought I’d try an automotive product I had on my shelf called Back To Black, meant for car bumpers and trim. It didn’t help it at all.

Thanks for the help, it’s very much appreciated.