Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Down the rabbit hole: secondhand Spirit score  (Read 267 times)

Bugeyed Earl

• Smokey Joe
Down the rabbit hole: secondhand Spirit score
« on: May 27, 2021, 12:49:27 PM »
So I picked up a nice looking Spirit E-310 on Sunday, and in looks like the previous owner made a few disastrous attempts to use it, but pretty much incinerated some otherwise good meat. There's still some smoke staining to remove from the back of the lid, but all it really needed to get going again was a set of burners and flavorizer bars (they were missing, so the burners were a greasy mess.) I love the color of my first Weber:

The new burners arrived with the air shutters in nearly the same position as the original ones, but it didn't seem to be working correctly at low flame, the rightmost burner kept shutting down and popping back on. I dialed the shutters down to about 40% of wide open, and that fixed the issue.

The grates were pretty hammered too, two major spots of rust and flaking iron & enamel. I ran them through the self cleaning cycle in the oven, and went at them with a wire wheel on my angle grinder, then started seasoning them. I think these may be salvageable, but the warming rack is too far gone.

All in all, not a bad score for $100 + parts.

Now that I've been reading this forum, I'm tempted to go looking for a real antique to restore, a lot of the projects here are inspirational!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:30:05 PM by Bugeyed Earl »

Bugeyed Earl

• Smokey Joe
Re: Down the rabbit hole: secondhand Spirit score
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »
I don't think my images are showing up, I'll try to fix them...

** edit: fixed it!! **
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:31:19 PM by Bugeyed Earl »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Down the rabbit hole: secondhand Spirit score
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 03:44:07 PM »
Nice snag.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club