Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Weber Wishing Well... What happened?  (Read 4417 times)

bgilbert44

• WKC Brave
The Weber Wishing Well... What happened?
« on: April 09, 2021, 05:05:06 PM »
Hello everyone! I have a few questions about a grill that has been puzzling me for years, probably the most unique-and bizarre grill Weber has ever made - The Wishing Well.
First, are there ANY surviving ones known to exist at this time? I have never seen one for resale in years of searching. Which brings me to question #2...
Were they even officially released or was it just a prototype that went unreleased to the general public?
Third, as someone would like to build a replica one day, does anyone know of any schematics/dimensions for a Wishing Well build, and/or has anyone ever attempted it?
Finally, in a related question (as I feel these two kind of go together), are there any known surviving Weber Barrel Bar-B-Q's and/or has anyone tried to build their own?

Any info on these questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I think I might need a bigger backyard soon...

Cellar2ful

Re: The Weber Wishing Well... What happened?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 06:35:10 PM »
A search on the Forum revealed the following quotes from @Craig (WKC Historian) and @harris92 (WKC member that pretty much has every Weber).

That is a mistake in the catalog.  26" always was 4.  Another BIG mistake in the catalog.  Did you know the Wishing Well was NEVER offered for sale to the public?  Only 1 Wishing Well was ever made and it was a prototype.  Weber jumped the gun and advertised it in their catalog for a short period of time (don't remember how many years off the top of my head).  Weber had to pull the ad and had egg on their face.

What is this wishing well kettle or barrel-Que that you speak of?

The Wishing Well is supposed to have been offered in 1966 though it is unconfirmed whether or not they went into regular production.

The Barrel Bar B Q was made and available in the 1972 and 1973 catalogs. Not offered in 1974 or later. Supposedly one of these were to be featured at a trade show in 1972 and somebody leaned on it and it collapsed. My understanding is that George Stephen was not happy about that. Supposedly there is at least one of these out there. Not sure who or if they are on any of the BBQ sites or not.

Barrel Bar B Q is in Metro Atlanta...

What is this wishing well kettle or barrel-Que that you speak of?

The Wishing Well is supposed to have been offered in 1966 though it is unconfirmed whether or not they went into regular production.

The Barrel Bar B Q was made and available in the 1972 and 1973 catalogs. Not offered in 1974 or later. Supposedly one of these were to be featured at a trade show in 1972 and somebody leaned on it and it collapsed. My understanding is that George Stephen was not happy about that. Supposedly there is at least one of these out there. Not sure who or if they are on any of the BBQ sites or not.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:37:02 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

bgilbert44

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 07:22:23 PM »
Ah, thanks a ton for the information! Really interesting read! Now I just gotta figure out how the heck to engineer one if someone hasn't done it already

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 07:43:43 PM »
I need to do a search for the wishing well.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 04:24:41 AM »
The Wishing Well

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 04:13:21 AM »
Every time I see this I am amazed that a crafty kettle head has not
made one, or several of these. 

bgilbert44

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 10:44:27 AM »

That's a big reason why I wanna do one! You'd think plenty of Kettle Collectors would have built one by now.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 11:39:36 AM »

One of my many projects in the works for the last 2 years.

bgilbert44

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 01:39:36 PM »

How far have you gotten? Just out of curiosity.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 06:40:32 AM »

How far have you gotten? Just out of curiosity.

I have all of the white cedar cut to my best guestimates. I'm trying to find stainless bands to go around it. Also trying to find a tabbed bowl or I'll use a performer bowl I have. I started strong but life happened and it's on the back burner.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 07:16:57 AM »
@dwnthehatch

Fatigue-Resistant 301 Stainless Steel
https://www.mcmaster.com/2416K89/

Multipurpose 304 Stainless Steel
https://www.mcmaster.com/3254K324/

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 08:10:21 AM »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2023, 10:20:22 AM »
FWIW- I went to grade school with one of Bob Krug's children.  Bob Krug worked with (not technically for) George Stephens from the very early days as some sort of manufacturer's rep.

There was a grade school reunion this summer and she was there.  Had a great time talking to her.  Asked about the Weber "wishing well." She was very young, so she might be wrong (but her and her older siblings still own the business & they still work with Weber), but she believes it was an actual product that was offered to vendors but that there were very few, if any, sales.
regards,
Hal