Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Salvaging the old style ash ring  (Read 2822 times)

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
Salvaging the old style ash ring
« on: July 05, 2013, 06:59:24 AM »
After spending the day in the heat and a few beverages, I was suddenly inspired to attempt a salvage of the old ash ring and pan for the SS performer I finally was able to snag. The ash catcher bar had badly rusted so it was attached by only one of the two notches.  I already had a H style sweeper, so I was planning on ordering a new ring and pan, however it did not seem that a new ring would work without some sort of manipulation. I decided to try to find a way to reuse the original one and save a few bucks.

My solution was to use some of the very stiff aluminum grounding wire I had stashed in my garage.  I thread it through the leg sockets and then looped it around the vent holes on the ash ring.  It is very stable and tight to the bowl.  It may not be a new idea, but it is new to me. And I can always blame it on the beverages if it doesn't last.  :P

Uncommon sense seeker

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Salvaging the old style ash ring
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:17:28 AM »
That's the first time I've seen that so good work!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 07:31:50 AM »
Nice job
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:23:17 AM »
Interesting. It would be invisible (on a non performer for example) if you did the wire tie on the interior. 

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:41:33 AM »
Not sure how you might attach an old ring without the wire being visible from the outside, can you elaborate? Or do you mean having the end of the loops that attach to the ring folding inside rather than outside (I took a pic of each, because the variable welding points of the individual leg supports made it easier to loop one way or the other). With the new ash rings you could certainly drill a hole in the tab and loop through that.
Uncommon sense seeker

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »
Yeah, you are correct, the top photos is an example of what i was talking about, and something will be visible regardless.  In any case, I like it as an alternative to drilling in something, and it is about as inocuous as the hose clamp mod..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
I have the part you need if you want to fix it the right way.  Just let me know....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X