Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey Joe Premium question  (Read 438 times)

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
Smokey Joe Premium question
« on: March 20, 2022, 07:40:17 PM »
Do you have a Smokey Joe Premium? If so, does it ‘breathe’ ok? Seems weird to me that there’s no vent underneath, and I’d like to hear from those who has one if it’s a problem. Thanks!
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

BigEasy

• Smokey Joe
Re: Smokey Joe Premium question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 04:07:08 AM »
It’s a problem.

I really don’t like cooking on mine. I do occasionally but just burgers/hotdogs/pork chops.

I’m sure others will weigh in saying how wonderful they are. To each their own

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 05:45:17 AM »
I've got a few of these in various colors and admittedly have not tried cooking on them since I have a bottom vent model with thermo and Tom Horsman vent handles.  I've heard/read that they don't have proper air flow to sustain a hot fire.  I wonder if they might do better for low and slow - drawing air much like a WSM from the sides.  Would be a fun experiment.  Interestingly, the same ventilation design was used on the Outrider and everyone seems to rave about how great they are/were.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 06:18:55 AM »
I believe the vent was placed on the side with no ash pan so you would not have to worry about the risk of fire from hot ash, allowing it to be transported easily.   Matters not, though, because it’s a design compromise.   They don’t get hot enough with the lid on.  A reverse sear technique would work provided you sear with the lid off and let the coals get going good. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 10:00:09 AM »
That’s the preferred style if you’re going to make a mini wsm. Great for low and slow and pretty easy to make, I would recommend. I cannot attest for high heat though since I never tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »
They are designed to do a simple grill... hot dogs, burgers, steaks, chops, sausages... With the ability to carry it and not worry about hot ash dropping on the ground. They work great for their purpose! People need to stop trying to make it into something it isn't and then bitching about it.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 11:11:20 AM »
They are designed to do a simple grill... hot dogs, burgers, steaks, chops, sausages... With the ability to carry it and not worry about hot ash dropping on the ground. They work great for their purpose! People need to stop trying to make it into something it isn't and then bitching about it.
Well said !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

cdp8

• WKC Brave
Smokey Joe Premium question
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 09:42:46 PM »
It’s a bad design. All three vents are above the charcoal grate. As mentioned above, when the lid is on, the coals don’t get enough oxygen. Webers are supposed to be used with the lids on. I put a bottom vent on mine and it worked great. I gave it to a friend when I scored a JJ and table.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:47:01 PM by cdp8 »

kcsmokinribs

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 04:16:39 AM »
Very creative! Kudos to you.

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 03:45:07 AM »
I had reservations at first regarding the vent layout but have realized this isn't an issue with the right
charcoal. If you use B&B and a full small chimney believe me it will be plenty hot. I actually like the
fact that it cooks the way it does, with the charcoal so close to the grate it keeps it at more of a steady
temp during a normal cook. When I did a steak on it I just used a full chimney and it was more than
adequate for searing and producing a good product. With that said and using Kingsford your results will
vary greatly. I cannot recommend B&B enough, I will never buy another charcoal again. It burns hotter,
lasts longer, and reduces the amount of charcoal you use. I have an Ivory Smokey Joe and love it!
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe