Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Weber Summit Kamado  (Read 4759 times)

mcyork28

• Smokey Joe
New Weber Summit Kamado
« on: December 01, 2020, 04:34:37 PM »
Picked up my new Weber Summit Kamado today. Had a few issues but I think I will get them worked out. The lid had some damage from how it was packed. Not a big deal, Weber is sending a new one.

I misinterpreted the assembly picture when attaching the back legs to the lower storage grate. Getting the legs back off was really hard and I bent the storage grate a little. I'm not sure if I caused this or not but the bolts that attach the legs to the bowl wouldn't thread properly. They will only go in about 3/4 of the way. They get to a certain point and then just spin. I took the leg out of the frame and tried to put the screw in and it still gets to a certain point and stops. This is on the back legs only.  I finally called Weber and they are sending me two new leg assembly's as well but they won't be here till late December at best.

I went ahead and finished assembling the grill. It's pretty wonky as it stands but I am assuming that will improve when I get the new legs. It's usable as it is.

I hope that doesn't discourage anybody from buying one. I am at least partly to blame and I think I will get it worked out. Will burn it in tomorrow and cook something on it.

Scratch On The Lid

Reprobate

• Happy Cooker
Re: New Weber Summit Kamado
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »
Thanks for posting about this. I was close to pulling the trigger on the outgoing model and just heard about the Summit Kamado. Looking forward to your future posts.

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 09:32:09 PM »
Very nice thanks for posting pictures. I can’t wait to see some cooks on the new grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 10:27:10 PM »
The defuser plate was better in the original summits but the $$ saved might be why.

ormandj

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 09:47:38 AM »
I haven't had a summit, but did anybody actually use the ability to fold the OG diffuser plate often? With my Primo Oval XL, I never had to 'add' charcoal even on 18 hour cooks, I just put the right amount in up front. It was too much a pain to move the food/etc out of the way to get in to add charcoal, even if the area was open. I'd imagine it would be the same on these, and you'd have to take the food off the grate to even get to where the diffuser was, at which point you might as well just move it too. Less moving parts to fail this way, and easier to clean. That said, perhaps there's some functionality with the folding diffuser I'm missing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 11:55:03 AM by ormandj »

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 10:55:51 AM »
Yes 90% of the time no I didn’t need to use it on long cooks. But when I have used it I have found it easy to add fuel without taking everything out. The less moving parts and easier to clean make sense. Keep me posted once you have used the new style a few times [emoji106]

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 02:51:52 PM »
How’d the first burn in cook go?

SmallBBQr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 03:11:53 PM »
I made another thread about worries about the wobble, and then just saw now in your post Weber is maybe doing something about your concern as well - shipping out new (different?) parts.  Do they have a solution to the "wobble" issue?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:06:04 AM by SmallBBQr »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 03:44:01 PM »
Personally I really love the folding diffuser... I sometimes leave one side flipped up and put the meat over the closed end to promote more of an offset/rolling smoke inside the grill. (more) Heat is forced up and out the one side plus if you do need to add chacoal you just drop it down without removing anything. Its also made of much heavier SS and I feel it will last the life of the grill. 

RE: the leg wobble... even the original version has some wobble to it so I'm pretty surprised they changed to the triangle being supported by only the legs like a standard 22". The addition of the 2 rear casters instead of the fixed wheels would only amplify the issue in my mind but hopefully they have a fix.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
New Weber Summit Kamado
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 06:34:52 AM »
I’m surprised Weber released this as it is.   The early feedback in forums has been poor.   The Weber website has two reviews already both citing the wobble.  I hope they’re watching this.

Premium price should command premium product. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:42:11 AM by michaelmilitello »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 08:48:13 AM »

I made another thread about worries about the wobble, and then just saw now in your post Webber is maybe doing something about your concern as well - shipping out new (different?) parts.  Do they have a solution to the "wobble" issue?

What’s a webber?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SmallBBQr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 09:06:59 AM »
Haha....OK...fixed it for the spelling police....though I guess on a Weber forum, that could be a capital offense!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 02:53:29 PM »

Haha....OK...fixed it for the spelling police....though I guess on a Weber forum, that could be a capital offense!

I recommended you for suspension to admin [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 04:59:59 PM »
Any new good cooks on the new kamado? Or other issues pop up?

SmallBBQr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 06:05:30 PM »
Weber site is now showing "coming soon" for BOTH models (the E6 was changed back from being released I believe) and I was written a very serious sounding message from a Weber contact saying they are taking the initial reviews and comments seriously and are reviewing things.  If those two are coincidence will remain to be seen.

...the next month or two should be interesting for the product perhaps.