Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis cart conversion for a kettle  (Read 7811 times)

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
Genesis cart conversion for a kettle
« on: November 15, 2020, 04:27:21 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has taken a Genesis cart, got rid of the gasser, and replaced it with a kettle? Like a poor man's Performer.
I have a cart and was hoping to make this mod so any help in not reinventing the wheel would be great.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: Genesis cart conversion for a kettle
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 07:34:18 PM »
The frame is not deep enough.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »
I started a project to put a 26" kettle into a Genesis frame. It's still on the side of my house, unfinished lol. It can be done, but you will need extra tubing from an additional Genesis frame. The extra tubing was to make the frame deeper, as @Jules V. pointed out. The only tools I used were a grinder and a drill. I took the brackets off of a donor (Performer) kettle to attach to the 26" bowl. I can dig it out and take some pics, if interested.

Jason

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 10:45:49 PM »
I started a project to put a 26" kettle into a Genesis frame. It's still on the side of my house, unfinished lol. It can be done, but you will need extra tubing from an additional Genesis frame. The extra tubing was to make the frame deeper, as @Jules V. pointed out. The only tools I used were a grinder and a drill. I took the brackets off of a donor (Performer) kettle to attach to the 26" bowl. I can dig it out and take some pics, if interested.

Jason
I figured I would need to widen the frame. I would be making it for a 22.5 since that is all I have.  I am hoping to have some time next week on Thanksgiving vacation. Not sure if I will do wood or metal.

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 10:47:36 PM »
If not for a kettle, at least for a table like this one.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 08:11:21 PM »
@Krawtschenko  I picked up and old Summit ($20) and made a cart, using the frame. I took the side burner from the Genesis (FREE) and fitted it to the Summit frame. I made this a few years ago and I still use it every time I'm in my outdoor cook space. The Genesis frame is what I used for the 26" Performer project I started a few years ago and put on hold.

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 08:22:04 PM »
Love it! I am always on the lookout for one with a side burner, but for now I will use what I have. Is that redwood or cedar you used for the top?

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 08:35:38 PM »
Is that redwood or cedar you used for the top?

I don't remember lol.

I got the wood at Home Depot and it was the least expensive material I could find to make the top. It is tongue and groove fence material. That's why there are those channels in the surface. Not the best material for the top, but works just fine and kept the project low budget, which was important to me.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »
The Pellet Poopin WSM

22” Kettle bowl with Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro hopper mounted on modified Genesis frame

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 11:34:10 PM »
The Pellet Poopin WSM

22” Kettle bowl with Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro hopper mounted on modified Genesis frame

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Nice job.

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 03:43:18 PM »
It has been done by a member here. Try using the search option. Iwas going to attempt a fews ago.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 06:01:11 AM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 05:23:45 PM »
Those are awesome! I have a SJ San Diego Chargers that I aquired with rusted legs that I might just use in something like this. Thanks Bob BQ!
@Krawtschenko - Here's a sweet Genesis Joe: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=13182.msg134517#msg134517

And the start of an 18" WSM/Genesis: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=25739.msg245915#msg245915

Both courtesy of @MartyG / @56MPG

andrewshrm

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 08:50:07 AM »
@Jason - love the Summit cart - so cool that you have the burner there.  Beautiful work.
@swamprb  - Pellet Pooper WSM is also a fantastic build.

Can't wait to see more of these... very creative.  26" would be awesome.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 12:23:18 PM »
@Jason - love the Summit cart - so cool that you have the burner there.  Beautiful work.
@swamprb  - Pellet Pooper WSM is also a fantastic build.

Can't wait to see more of these... very creative.  26" would be awesome.

@andrewshrm thanks man!

The following is a reply I made in another post, with similar content. Thought I should post it here too...

I just saw this come up again, had a bit of time, and pulled this stuff out to take some pics. The frame is from a couple of Genesis gasser frames. The really visible rust is from where I took a grinder to some of the metal tabs, that would not be needed for the Performer frame. I widened the frame, by cutting it in half and then using a couple pieces of tubing, which have 1"x1" wood running the full length of the tube. Last pic, I'm pointing to one of the connection points. Thats just electrical tape coving the connection. It's actually very sturdy, as is, but I had planed to make it more permanent and look nice. The brackets on the 26" bowl came off a donor 22" Performer, that was not worth restoring. 

Found another pic.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 02:26:41 PM by Jason »