Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MOD MONTH - Half-baked WSM Cart  (Read 2437 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
MOD MONTH - Half-baked WSM Cart
« on: September 11, 2016, 01:27:27 PM »
This came up in a thread a while back, but some may not have seen the mod I tried, so here it is again. Like I said, it's half-baked just to prove it would work. I don't plan to polish it up to make it look great, but someone out there may have a need - and an old Genesis cart - and will make it for real.

Take your standard Genesis frame. (This one I've used before, and has been a mule for other mockups.)

Unbolt the top frame and flip the right side end for end.

Cut off the (now) outboard ends to use as center supports. You should have about 18" or so. You'll also cut the inboard ends to match the other side, and cut the protruding tabs off the ends on the left.

See the overlaps? That's where you would drill and bolt the sections together. Drill a couple more holes for the custom brackets, and the WSM drops right in like a Performer!

Fab a couple tables (don't use pink foam like I did) and you're done!

All in all, pretty simple job: A few hack saw cuts, and a few drilled holes. You would probably want to get some more 1" end caps for the raw edges. The height is about 2" taller than the Platinum cart version - putting the top grate height at 47". You need a pair of custom brackets for the WSM bowl, and it will only fit an 18.5 WSM.

Now, let's see someone do this right!
Retired

Troy

• Statesman
Re: MOD MONTH - Half-baked WSM Cart
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »
could the bowl be mounted to the underside of the square tubing? that would drop the entire WSM by more than an inch.

I need to start looking for a genesis i guess, that looks more promising than my performer wsm cart

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: MOD MONTH - Half-baked WSM Cart
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:15:50 AM »
Nope, the frame interferes with the center section fit up. You need that inch above the rails. I would just lower the whole thing by drilling a new axle hole and eliminating the caster wheels.
Retired