Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mesquite Charcoal  (Read 8345 times)

Sparky2020

• Smokey Joe
Mesquite Charcoal
« on: October 13, 2020, 11:37:38 AM »
I was given a 20 lb bag of mesquite charcoal. I never smoked with mesquite charcoal. Any issues using it as the main fuel source for smoking or should I use it just for grilling?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

magic mike

• WKC Brave
Re: Mesquite Charcoal
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 07:21:22 PM »
Mesquite is too strong for me for most meats. I only use it for brisket........and even then VERY sparingly, with more hickory (75/25)

Sparky2020

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
I agree with that.

I was wondering if charcoal specifically had the same effect? It likely does I would think but I am unsure if charcoal gives off the same strong smoke flavor as regular wood chunks for smoking.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »
mesquite charcoal is not as strong as wood chunks, I would not hesitate to use as a high heat direct fuel source or a low and slow on brisket
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

P0234

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »
I really like the convenience of the flavored charcoal. I find that it maintains temperature more evenly than chips. I don’t have experience with mesquite but with other varieties, the flavor is super subtle at high temp direct burns. Indirect, low and slow, it can become overpowering. For low and slow I mix 5 or 6 to one flavored charcoal and that is the right balance for me.

Long way of saying, play around with it!

Sparky2020

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 06:07:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Will use some in the WSM with caution.