Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Today's Catch: Grilled Redfish on the Half Shell  (Read 1040 times)

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
Today's Catch: Grilled Redfish on the Half Shell
« on: September 28, 2020, 04:53:11 AM »
I launched my boat Sunday at sunrise in Horseshoe Beach, Florida to fish inshore (salt water). Species that were targeted were redfish, trout and tripletail. It was a good day on the water, back home at 3:00pm to clean fish and boat.

My wife requested redfish on the half shell for dinner. She made rice pilaf with toasted almonds and cranberries and spaghetti squash with butter.

Redfish was filleted leaving the skin and scales on fillet.

Fish was cooked on a 26” kettle with RO lump for 30-35 minutes. Fillet side was seared for about a minute, turned over and placed skin side down for indirect for the rest of the cook. Compound butter with garlic, herbs and spices were placed on fish every 6-8 minutes.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:08:19 AM by AZ2FL »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Today's Catch: Grilled Redfish on the Half Shell
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 05:19:32 AM »
Can't beat right of the boat fresh, add the view and BOOM
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 05:29:35 AM »
Awesome!  Just curious, how much does that redfish weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 05:30:15 AM »
Sounds like a really nice day and a nice dinner! 

Jrzy.Hillbilly

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 06:03:00 AM »
Nicely done and awesome day!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 02:14:58 AM »
@AZ2FL, that view, though! Having grown up in Washington State. Fishing is still one of my favorite pastimes. Looks like you scored. You caught fish, one. You grilled it, two. You worked together with your spouse for dinner, three. The day looks like a happy successful day!

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 03:22:37 AM »
@AZ2FL, that view, though! Having grown up in Washington State. Fishing is still one of my favorite pastimes. Looks like you scored. You caught fish, one. You grilled it, two. You worked together with your spouse for dinner, three. The day looks like a happy successful day!

Thanks, BBQking01. I was on plane headed to one of my fishing spots, when I snapped a picture of the water and treelined islands.

After moving to Florida from Arizona 11 years ago. I caught the inshore saltwater fishing bug. Did you salt or freshwater fish in Washington?

Fish caught on Sunday will yield six meals for my wife and me. We had a southern fish fry last night and will kettle grill triple tail fillets on Wednesday. As a rule, we very rarely freeze fish. Though I will freeze three TT fillets this time, water temps will be dropping soon. TT will push to the south or offshore looking for warmer water.

If your ever in the Gainesville, Florida area. Look me up and we can chase a few fish.
Cheers

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 03:35:26 AM »
Awesome!  Just curious, how much does that redfish weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinny Red fish pictured was 21” in length and about 3-1/2 to 4 pounds.

Red fish have a slot limit of 18”-27”. A 27” can weigh 6-8 pounds and an 18” 2-3 pounds.

Triple tail pictured were 21” in length and weighed 8-10 pounds.

Spotted sea trout pictured were 15”-16” in length and weighed about one to 1-1/2 pounds.

Cheers

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 03:41:39 AM »
So I did some of both, but mainly fresh water, and mostly trout. Caught nice silver salmon once up in the strait of Juan de Feuca. Did some sturgeon fishing in gray harbor, chehalis river. Went onceup right next to some little lakes aroundMt. St. Helens, dude we caught trout, almost every cast was successful. Each little lake seemed to have a different species of trout. There was like six of us and we alllimited out. Like 8 trout apiece.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 03:45:44 AM by bbqking01 »

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 06:06:01 AM »
Redfish on the half shell is one of my favorite fish dishes. Looks great , man !

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 10:06:04 AM »
Love everything about this!
Looks so good, sounds like a great day

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 05:23:38 PM »
A ten ounce triple tail fish fillet from Sundays catch was grilled this evening.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:26:51 PM by AZ2FL »

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 05:17:19 AM »
So I did some of both, but mainly fresh water, and mostly trout. Caught nice silver salmon once up in the strait of Juan de Feuca. Did some sturgeon fishing in gray harbor, chehalis river. Went onceup right next to some little lakes aroundMt. St. Helens, dude we caught trout, almost every cast was successful. Each little lake seemed to have a different species of trout. There was like six of us and we alllimited out. Like 8 trout apiece.

Gulf sturgeon can be found in the Suwannee River out to the Gulf of Mexico and are protected under the endangered species act in Florida. I'm sure gulf sturgeon are a difference species than what's found in the pacific northwest.

Spotted sea trout is in the drum family and not a trout. When a male spotted trout is caught it will drum like red (redfish) or black drum.

Days fishing when you limit out are always fun and memorable.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 05:26:08 PM »
Redfish on the half shell is one of my favorite fish dishes. Looks great , man !

Grilled Redfish on the half shell is my first choice, blackened is second, third is deep fried and fourth is crab trap bait. 

Do you chase reds in Alabama?