Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wagyu Brisket HELP  (Read 9989 times)

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
Wagyu Brisket HELP
« on: September 05, 2020, 12:32:55 AM »
Hi All,

Cooked a few briskets in my time.  I've just bagged a  Wagyu Brisket (whole packer) for a special occasion and thought I'd run things by you good people as a sanity check.

The internet is awash with information of varying degrees when it comes to smoking wagyu brisket

As it's a special occasion I wouldn't want to mess this up, not to mention how much it cost. How do you competition cooks afford a wagyu [emoji44]

Whole packer brisket (Australian Wagyu)
Weight: 8.96kg/19.75 pounds (pre trimming)
Feeding Time: 6pm/18:00 (Tomorrow/Sunday)
WSM: 47cm/18.5" (Hoping the slab has amazing contortionist skills to fit)

Understand it's done when it's done, but as a rough guide.

Questions:
- Does the higher fat/marbling impact the cook?
- What time to get it in the smoker?
- What is the ideal temp (low & slow) for wagyu?
- When to pull ? I see as low as 180f and others a fair bit above 200f+

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Wagyu Brisket HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:12:57 AM »
I would think that the higher fat/marbling would add time, as for temps I go for probe tender and rest. I would be concerned about air flow in your smoker if it's to big.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Mikeyd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 05:40:42 AM »
What are you using for a smoker?

It seems probe tender over 210 degrees in most cases. Start checking at 203 and then every 20 min from there.

You can always hold a brisket for several hours in a cooler. What this means is always plan for the buffer so if you need that time to get it done you can still eat by 6. If it gets done early just hold it.

I cook brisket at 275-300 so I can cook that packer in 12 hrs or less. If you do low and slow the stall will be longer as it renders fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 06:06:41 AM »
18 pounds is going to be tough to cram in the 18 wsm.  Wedge it between the grate handles and use something to bow the the middle.  I’ve done up to 15 on a 18 wsm. 

If you’ve had good success cooking tender brisket, I wouldn’t change your approach too much.   Stick with what you know works.  I would probably go lighter on the seasoning to let the beef flavor shine.

Save all your trimmings!

Good luck.  Take pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 12:05:12 PM »
I’ve cooked many Australian A9 briskets. With the higher fat marbling 275-300 is perfect cooking temp to help render the fat. Cook till it’s probe tender which with wagyu is almost always 205-210 ish. As far as how long it takes depends. If you wrap it after your bark is formed then it’ll greatly shorten the cook. If you plan on not wrapping it could take a lot longer. Keep in mind you want to let it rest for 2-3 hours. Lots of people say 1 hour but 2-3 hours makes for a better end result.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 04:05:50 PM »
I would think that the higher fat/marbling would add time, as for temps I go for probe tender and rest. I would be concerned about air flow in your smoker if it's to big.
After unpacking I don't think I've trimmed a brisket more, there was a ridiculous amount of hard fat (at a guess 2 kg+ maybe more)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 06:52:32 AM by Shanks Kop »

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 04:06:43 PM »
What are you using for a smoker?

It seems probe tender over 210 degrees in most cases. Start checking at 203 and then every 20 min from there.

You can always hold a brisket for several hours in a cooler. What this means is always plan for the buffer so if you need that time to get it done you can still eat by 6. If it gets done early just hold it.

I cook brisket at 275-300 so I can cook that packer in 12 hrs or less. If you do low and slow the stall will be longer as it renders fat.

I'm guessing I could always up the temp if I'm lagging behind ?

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 04:07:20 PM »
18 pounds is going to be tough to cram in the 18 wsm.  Wedge it between the grate handles and use something to bow the the middle.  I’ve done up to 15 on a 18 wsm. 

If you’ve had good success cooking tender brisket, I wouldn’t change your approach too much.   Stick with what you know works.  I would probably go lighter on the seasoning to let the beef flavor shine.

Save all your trimmings!

Good luck.  Take pictures!

What do you guys do with trimmings out of curiosity?

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 04:17:54 PM »
@Shanks Kop
I save trim for making sausage.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 04:41:12 PM »
Check out Harry Soo on YouTube. He’s a pretty good brisket resource in my opinion.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 08:09:37 PM »
@Shanks Kop
Good to freeze the trimmings I'm assuming?

Shanks Kop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 08:10:47 PM »
Check out Harry Soo on YouTube. He’s a pretty good brisket resource in my opinion.

Cooking Brisket I'm pretty well versed, it was more the Wagyu nuances if any [emoji106]

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 04:58:50 AM »
@Shanks Kop
Good to freeze the trimmings I'm assuming?

Brisket trim freezes well, I vacuum seal mine.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »

Cooking Brisket I'm pretty well versed, it was more the Wagyu nuances if any [emoji106]

Right on. I think I saw a video or two of him doing wagyu brisket also. I couldn’t believe the quality of beef myself. I’m too cheap to buy wagyu beef at this point in my life. Please share pics of your cook when you can.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.